Things that piss you off Page 1,595

Quote: Lazzard @ 22nd May 2015, 10:26 AM BST

No your not.
You're within your right to give your opinion.
To call people out implies you think they're being disingenuous in their praise.
When all that's happening is people are not sharing your opinion.

You remind me of all those Lefties rioting in London because people didn't vote the way they wanted them to.

Amen to that too.........

Well, first off, someone has to kick the tin can once in a while around here, else we just swap song titles. ;)
Also it solves Hercules telling us there's nothing happening. :D
Moreover, it means we talk about comedy. :O

The above done and dusted, I must say, that putting this down to taste just will not do.

My point was not about this or that individual post for this or that individual sitcom by this or that individual contributor.

It's the fact that in all the threads about recent comedies I have read, the overall response is always overwhelmingly positive. Without fail.

I ask you, how is that possible? Is there really not one bad comedy? Not one?

As I said in the post, if that were so, we would truly be witnessing a new golden age of British television sitcom. Is there anyone here who is actually wanting to argue that perspective? Is this a golden age? Every single sitcom is a winner?

Reading between the lines in many other threads the implication seems to be that many folks feel that things are not as they were. And that, overall, things are actually quite poor right now. Or worse.
But if that is so, where is the evidence in the threads appertaining to recent comedies?

That one or two individuals might find this or that comedy 'not great, but enjoyable' I can buy.
That can be the product of variation of taste.
That is, if there were one or two individuals, as opposed to the whole thread.
But the truth is, it is the critics who make up this minority - on every thread.

This would suggest everything currently being put out in the UK is good and warmly welcomed.
Everything. E-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g.
And naturally, every good comedy will have one or two critics, no matter how good it is.
That is the picture I'm railing against. >_<

I cannot believe that the sitcoms I listed are all universally good and I just don't 'get it'.
Let's copy and paste 'em:
"W1A, The Inbetweeners, Plebs, Up the Women, Bluestone 42, Car Share"

One? Maybe.
Two? Perhaps.
All? Nope.

Because what I see in those programmes is tripe. Sick
Worse, tripe running into several series in some cases.

But apparently, each one of them is good stuff. Apparently, it just so happens that they don't accord with my taste.

Really?
Must be a golden age then.
Make way, Ronnie Barker. Step aside, David Jason. Roll over, John Cleese.
You've been bested. Perfection at last. <3

Quote: Lazzard @ 22nd May 2015, 10:26 AM BST

No your not.
You're within your right to give your opinion.
To call people out implies you think they're being disingenuous in their praise.
When all that's happening is people are not sharing your opinion.

You remind me of all those Lefties rioting in London because people didn't vote the way they wanted them to.

Nice point, well made. :) But you'll concede, that there was a different context, no?

Anyhow, as you see from my latest tirade above this response, Lazzard, I observe a rather large discrepancy.
Not merely between the praise of recent comedies and my own opinion. But also between said praise and the general tenor of much else that has been written on this forum.
This begs the question, how can this discrepancy be explained?
For it seems to be a glaring one.

Hence, I am indeed calling people out, as you put it. Pirate
I'm kicking the tin can down the road, hoping for it to make plenty of noise. Hoping also to draw more than just one liners.
You suggest I am not entitled to do so. Well, I suggest I am. So there. :P

For one, of course, I'm also getting into the spirit of this thread. I didn't know where else to place such an over-arching post. So it seemed well suited to this thread, with a few tweaks.
After all, a thread titled 'things that p*ss you off' requires a confrontational approach, I'd venture.

I'm quite happy to be the bad guy in all this. Yep, I'm just born a martyr. Angelic
So think of me what you like. Arnie 'Big Man' Rimmer, at your service. Cool

However, the basic premise still stands. So does the discrepancy.
Current comedy. - Cr*p. - Praised to the nines. - Golden age.

So too does that fact that if people keep praising, they encourage more of the same. I for one, wouldn't welcome any more of the same.
Would others? :S

Which begs the question, is my taste that unique? Or are we putting lipstick on a pig?

Moreover, where are you on this, Lazzard?
Is it all good? Golden age stuff? Or are you a hidden riotous leftie yourself, thinking that there is in fact quite a lot of sh*te out there?
Feel free to confess. I won't tell anyone. Pleased

Anyhow, thinking I might possibly have broken the site's longest post record, I'll now press enter. Geek

NO NO NO NO NO!

TTPYO - your posts!!!!

Do you think people read them?

>_<

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd May 2015, 10:07 PM BST

NO NO NO NO NO!

TTPYO - your posts!!!!

Do you think people read them?

>_<

I was wondering how often he has to replace his keyboard . . .

Ah well, as I suspected, I'm succeeding on getting on everyone's nerves.

Not a problem. I said I'd go if I became unbearable.
Evidently that point is now reached.
So true to my word, I'll ask Aaron to kill the account and I'll be off.

For what it's worth, I had fun here. Well, I got to 320. :)
But I best get back to my writing and stop bothering the natives.

Cheerio. Wave

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 23rd May 2015, 12:38 AM BST

Cheerio. Wave

No need to flounce Gussie. Just be a little more succinct.

I think someone needs a big hug :P Now come clean who was posting those slightly ancy threads Katie Hopkins, David Starkey or my mum??

Cheerio. Wave

I hope you reconsider your dashing off to study newts in remotest Lincolnshire.
As a man of few words myself,I enjoy reading your posts.

Cheerio. Wave

Hello Wave

You must not let people get under your skin..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAiFpYOY0W8

But you were urging people to be more critical, and they've done just that, in criticising you. Success is yours.

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 22nd May 2015, 9:51 PM BST

Moreover, where are you on this, Lazzard?
Is it all good? Golden age stuff? Or are you a hidden riotous leftie yourself, thinking that there is in fact quite a lot of sh*te out there?
Feel free to confess. I won't tell anyone. Pleased

Not sure wether you're still with us, old thing, but I should do you the courtesy of responding.
No it's not all good - there are vast swathes of stuff I don't even watch because I can tell from the listing I won't like it.
But I tend not to post on those threads - just as I wouldn't go up to someone in a restaurant and shout "Haddock? How the f**k can you eat that shit - are you completely mental - or are you just pretending you like it?"
But I and others do weigh in on things we think are poor - in my case where I was hoping for better - the Count Arthur Strong TV show being a recent example where it nearly cam to blows.
'Derek' was another.
And as for a Golden Age? When was that then?
Yes we all love "Fawlty Towers" - but take a look at some of the crap that was being made at the same time.
Of course the past looks better, because the only things we remember are the things that stood the test of time ergo were of high quality.
We filter out the shit.
Which is what I do with the current crop of comedy.
Try it.
You'll find it much better for your health.

:)

Quote: Lazzard @ 23rd May 2015, 9:46 AM BST

We filter out the shit.

This.

Also, I don't tend to watch past one episode (I'm thinking Mount Pleasant or Bluestone or Mrs Brown's Boys as examples) or maybe even don't watch at all if the trailers don't appeal, so would have no need for a big debate on how bad a show was, it would be just left unsaid mostly.
When we find a decent show like the recent Inside No.9 it gets praise heaped upon it as it's that rare find and warrants a comment.

Hey Gussie, no need to stomp off, a bit of spirit is a good thing around here. And pick up that tin can on your way back you litterbug Unimpressed

Rarely do I give up at the first episode, as I will watch the second to give it a chance to grow on me, but yes, if the trailer is shit I won't bother.

Cheerio. Wave

A forum, especially a comedy forum is not a sensible place for long detailed postings. Members probably pop in and out and don't have time to read long postings.

Get yourself a blog site and post the long stuff there, then just post the essentials here with a link to the long expostition.

A forum like this works like a pub discussion, short sharp comments and wit. Anyone going into long monologues will get stared at and then ignored.

Come back Gussie, join the debate.