Things that piss you off Page 1,594

Aye, I have to let it go. It was in my mind cos we went there for Sunday lunch again. I mean.... the main item on the menu is roast beef. Red onion and broccoli puree is not f**king soup.

Quote: Chappers @ 4th May 2015, 11:24 PM BST

Get yourself a goat.

I'm too heavy to ride a goat round the garden. Anyway, goats attract trolls. I hate trolls. Big ugly creatures sitting under bridges threatening female celebrities with sexual violence on twitter.

Close out. WTF does that mean? Surely 'win' is easier?

Again, 'going forward' ffs aren't people bored with this meaningless drivel yet?

People who can't be arsed to walk ten feet to return their supermarket trollies to the trolly parks. Just leave it lying around on a windy day. It won't be your car it scratches 'cos you're off tome. Tossers.

I weep for the future of UK comedy.
Seriously.
I just checked out the 'Car Share' thread once more.
Ye Gods!

As long as we shower such garbage with praise, the broadcasters will keep giving us more of the same.

W1A, The Inbetweeners, Plebs, Up the Women, Bluestone 42, Car Share, etc...

All are wonderful, it appears. Barely a critical voice.
The Broadcasters must think it's Christmas. Everyone on BCG just lurves the stuff.

But sorry, folks. No!
If that stuff is brilliant, enjoyable and fun, then what is bad???

We all know what comedy can do. We all know how inspiring and mind blowing British TV sitcom has been.

But are we seriously willing to accept - even applaud - the sheer dross they're giving us now?

Are we really trying to pretend there hasn't been a marked deterioration and the present crop is just as good?

Call me a moan if you want, but I cannot see how anyone can currently be heaping any great deal of praise on current output.

I liked Peter Kay - until I saw Car Share!

Frankly, I think people ought to be shot for some of the unmitigated cr*p that is being pumped into the airwaves as comedy.

Yes, I can get quite hot under the collar about this stuff.
Because this is some of our national culture, our heritage, we're p*ssing down the Suwannee here.

If this continues to go on, we'll end up with the equivalent of Swiss or German comedy. Because that is the current direction of travel.
I've been there. It is not a happy place!

Worst of all, it's the fact that no one seems to be trying. And that at the other end, folks seem to be willing to shower just about anything with approbation.

But praise is only meaningful, if you are prepared to criticise.
What's the point of saying you love Fawlty Towers if you use the same verb for W1A? It becomes meaningless.

I'm sorry. But sh*t is sh*t.
You are doing no one a service by trying to be nice to those who are providing this televisual slurry.
In fact you are only encouraging them in their complacency.
They no doubt come on here and leave with tears of joy in their eyes.

So please, someone put a little more lead in their pencil.

Because if you really think it's all so wonderful, then we must be living in a golden age of British comedy.
And frankly, I can't see it.

Angry Angry Angry

You do better then. Talk is cheap.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 21st May 2015, 9:43 PM BST

You do better then. Talk is cheap.

Ah, for the pithy remark.
Such wit. Such larkiness.

Hang on. So criticism per se it out?
Because as long as one isn't at the coalface oneself, one has no right to criticise?

Think this one through, will you.

The banking scandals? They're a problem? I haven't seen you doing any better. So quiet.

Politicians? They're all brilliant. All of them.
After all, you're not doing any better, right?

And to take your argument fully ad absurdum:
Hitler wasn't that bad. After all, have you tried running Germany? No? Well, shut up then.

So I'm completely within my rights to call on people to stop cheerleading mediocrity and outright cr*p.
Especially when that's what they're doing. Wave

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 21st May 2015, 9:30 PM BST

What's the point of saying you love Fawlty Towers if you use the same verb for W1A? It becomes meaningless.

I love Fawlty Towers. I 'liked and enjoyed a lot' (I might be saying 'lurve' in a haze of nostalgia in thirty years time) Car Share.
Meaningless to whom??

Dunno what the fuss is about - Car Share will never be a classic, it is just summat different and I find it quite pleasant.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but what is?

Oh God, I LOVE The Inbetweeners, especially the first series. It captures a particular moment of life so perfectly and the end of that series where they jump on the trampoline is quite interesting. It's a moment where they stop worrying about things and enjoy the last moments of their childhood.

The other series and films, whilst still quite funny, do feel more forced. But I'd never rate it as just another trash comedy!

I'm sure wev'e all got a list of shows that were hilarious for others and left us stone faced.There's nothing new in that.

There's a difference between not liking a show and it being a thing that pissed you off.

Criticism is not off it just gets rather dull. You kind of also need to go on about the stuff you do like and why it works.

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 21st May 2015, 9:30 PM BST

Everyone on BCG just lurves the stuff.

Many people here won't say bad things about shows they hate, for some very good reasons.

Quote: Nogget @ 22nd May 2015, 8:16 AM BST

Many people here won't say bad things about shows they hate, for some very good reasons.

Amen to that.........

I thought the Inbetweeners was very funny, I laughed at it.

Great scripts, great young actors, very poignant.

I do get mildly annoyed with the worship of;

"wonderful, marvelous, wasn't really all that great past."

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 21st May 2015, 10:07 PM BST

So I'm completely within my rights to call on people to stop cheerleading mediocrity and outright cr*p.
Especially when that's what they're doing. Wave

No your not.
You're within your right to give your opinion.
To call people out implies you think they're being disingenuous in their praise.
When all that's happening is people are not sharing your opinion.

You remind me of all those Lefties rioting in London because people didn't vote the way they wanted them to.