Female comedians Page 45

Quote: RUGBY @ 19th May 2015, 7:04 PM BST

I challenge you all to a stand off- standup in my living room/kitchenette with my 10 lady friends with hormonal/ emotional/ relationship complications but it's not a good time of month for them. I then asked a lot of female comics/actors to attend but they politely declined as all were working abroad.

Is there a point I'm missing? :O

Yes.. I was attempting humour as a female but think I will go back to the kitchen and start that beans on on toast again(.. I think I am quite funny and therefore all women are. But will make an exeception for Alan Patridge.

Well, I found the post confusing. Hence my response.

It consists of two sentences.
The first begins 'I challenge you...'
The second then goes 'I then asked...

There is a clear breach of logic there. Which is why I wondered if perhaps something had been unwittingly dropped.

As for Alan Partridge;
the only contribution he could make to humour would be to publicly impale himself on something sharp and lethal.
I'd laugh. Pleased

Is this comedic jousting? Alan Partridge did impale himself on a gate during one episode as you may know. I would like to know why women aren't funny?

Have you read the very lengthy thread on the matter?

Nighty nite

Quote: RUGBY @ 19th May 2015, 11:59 PM BST

Is this comedic jousting? Alan Partridge did impale himself on a gate during one episode as you may know. I would like to know why women aren't funny?

The key word regarding Partridge was 'lethal'. ;)

As for women not being funny, as Zooo points out, there's a long thread on this so far.

Personally, I think men do seem to enjoy an advantage of sorts. But it by no means applies to all humour. (and I don't think it's societal as Aaron argues)

But I think if anything has given the theory that girls ain't funny credence, I think it's been the deliberate promotion of female comedians on an ideological basis, rather than due to quality. Nothing symbolises that more than the 'token female' on the panel shows.

I know of what I speak. For a while I was in contact with a budding female comedian north of the border who was being groomed for greater things by the local Beeb up there. Sadly her health deteriorated, eventually making things impossible.

But she was quite sanguine in her assessment of the situation. She felt she was merely being helped along as she was a woman, and the Beeb simply wanted 'some women'. I sensed she herself felt frustrated at this bizarre priority. But who could blame her for grabbing the opportunity with both hands? I sure didn't.

(She also bemoaned the nonsense of insisting she do standup comedy in order to earn her spurs, when in fact she wasn't interested in standup. But as I have said in other threads, the BBC seem to think that standup simply -is- comedy these days.)

I do think female comedians have suffered from quota vehicles and the elevation of some celebrity wimmin which simply weren't that funny. (e.g. Jo Brand)

It seems to have established in the mind of many the idea that women can't cut it.
I recall some ghastly vehicles in the earlier days of BBC3 television which made you cringe. I still feel the women-launch-pad idea doesn't want to die.

The irony of course is that 'pushing women' in comedy may in fact have done them a great disservice, creating a prejudice which will prove hard to overcome.

But in the end, it's quality which ought to launch someone, not what they have or have not got in their pants.
I've just re-watched some of 'To the manor born' and I find Penelope Keith hilarious. But I bet she wasn't promoted within the Beeb because she was a woman.

I think women are very funny but possibly in a slightly different way, and the 'comedy industry' is currently very skewed towards what works for male comics.

I do agree with you on the promotion of female comics on a quota basis from channels but shame on them for not picking someone for their talent. Check out Tina Fey on 30 Rock with an episode about women not being funny..it was a parody and very funny. Some men are not comfortable with women taking a dig at them on stage but it's ok for them poke at us endlessly ( no pun intended ) . Oh best line from 30 Rock to paraphrase.. I've got my period you're all fired .

I bloody love 30 Rock. Think there's a season or two I still haven't seen, but I don't want to watch them as then I'll have none left. :(

It's good to hear from a fellow Rock fan. I have all the DVDs. Alec Baldwin is quite a comedy genius in this. By the way I'm a actually a big admirer of The Walking Dead.

I think I love you, RUGBY. <3

Baldwin is ace. I don't think I ever appreciated his comedic abilities before 30 Rock.

Church is booked for the wedding . I just need your bank details and your pin so I can buy my wedding dress ) I'm thinking Prada meets Peacocks?

It's spelled Primark. ;)

Quote: RUGBY @ 20th May 2015, 12:40 AM BST

Nighty nite

I used to love that.