Idea sabotage

Aaargh!

I've written the first 16 pages of a sitcom entitled 'Out of my Mind' where the protagonist's thoughts are personified. However, I've just found out that Pixar are releasing a film with the same concept and characterisation called 'Inside Out'. Mine is aimed at a more adult audience but the similarities with what I've seen on the trailer are uncanny.

Has this happened to anyone else?

On the plus side, I can post it on here later and get some feedback.

It's an animation about the five conflicting emotions inside a girl's head personified as characters. Sounds like the Numskulls to me (for those old enough to remember)...
Is it really as similar as that, Richard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRo-NIKZ7Qk

Numskulls was an inspiration. It's why my protagonist was called Ed. Apparently there was also a sitcom in the early 90s called Herman's Head. I only watched the trailer for that to ensure that my sitcom was sufficiently different. But Inside Out just seems too similar. I'll post a scene or two.

Here goes... I am warning everyone that was intended for a much older audience. My disclaimer is also that this was my first draft. I know there are a number of areas to improve.

FADE IN:
OPEN YOUR MIND
INT.- ED'S TOILET
ED IS SITTING UNCONSCIOUS ON A FILTHY TOILET IN A POSE REMINISCENT OF 'THE THINKER'. ONE OF ED'S EYES OPEN. HE SCANS THE ROOM AND BEGINS TO SLOWLY SIT UP AS THE IMPLICATIONS OF THE PREVIOUS NIGHT BEGIN TO DAWN ON HIM.
ED SLOWLY WAKENS AND ATTEMPTS TO EXAMINE THE HAND THAT HAS BEEN PROPPING UP HIS HEAD. HE GIVES HIS HAND A SHAKE. HE STUMBLES HIS WAY TOWARDS THE BATHROOM DOOR. THIS IS FOLLOWED BY A WIDE SHOT OF HIM INTO HIS LIVING ROOM. HE SLUMPS ONTO THE SOFA AND SLAPS HIS HEAD IN AN ATTEMPT TO REVIVE HIMSELF.

INT. - INSIDE ED'S MIND

ED'S MIND IS AN IDENTICAL COPY OF HIS LIVING ROOM BUT IN PRIMARY COLOURS. THE ONLY OTHER SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE IS A LIGHT IS POSITIONED ABOVE THE TV SET. LIBIDO IS SITTING LAZILY TRYING TO GET HIS HAND DOWN HIS SKIN TIGHT JEANS. HE IS WATCHING ED'S VIEW OF HIS OWN ROOM ON THE TELEVISION SET. LIBIDO IS WEARING A BRIGHT RED TSHIRT WITH A CHILD LIKE DRAWING OF A PENIS EJACULATING WITH THREE BLOBS. HE LOOKS LIKE A PRIMARK RUSSELL BRAND. THERE IS A CONTENTED GRIN ON HIS FACE. IN THE BACKGROUND, THE ALMOST FERAL FORM OF CONSCIENCE ROCKS BACK AND FORTH.
MEMORY ENTERS AND SITS ON THE SOFA NEXT TO LIBIDO. HE LOOKS SEVERELY HUNGOVER.
LIBIDO STARTS TO RUMMAGE IN HIS PANTS MORE VIGOUROUSLY.
MEMORY COUGHS. LIBIDO SLOWS HIS RUMMAGING THEN DISAPPOINTEDLY REMOVES HIS HAND FROM HIS PANTS.

LIBIDO
Alreet memory gland?
MEMORY
You're up early.
LIBIDO
How do you think Ed keeps waking up with morning glory?
MEMORY
What has Mr Thought got against me? What the cocking hell happened last night?
LIBIDO
Yer always the first to go, you lightweight. Not too sure myself what happened though...Last thing I remember, I was trying to persuade the Mr Ed to knock one out.
LIBIDO
Drinking always make me horny.
LIBIDO STARTS TO IDLY RUMMAGE IN HIS PANTS AGAIN.

And hangovers.
MEMORY
Everything makes you bloody horny. You are Libido. Where the hell were we?
LIBIDO
Beats me. Pub car park I think.
MEMORY
And you were trying to persuade Mr Thought to get Ed to have a wank?
LIBIDO GRINS
LIBIDO
Think he would have seen sense and all if he hadn't been. You know... (LOOKS DOWN AT PENIS) Can't remember the rest of the night though.
LOGIC ENTERS WEARING A PURPLE TSHIRT WITH AN IMAGE OF EPICURUS ON IT.

LOGIC
What in Dawkins' name is going on?

LOGIC SLAPS MEMORY AROUND THE BACK OF THE HEAD.
MEMORY
Ouch! You walking cliche. What was that for?
LOGIC
You're the memory. Buffoon. You work it out.
MEMORY
Oh shite! Mr Ed's new job!

MEMORY SCRAMBLES FOR CONTROL OF A KEYBOARD PLACED IN FRONT OF THE TELEVISION AND STARTS POUNDING KEYS FRANTICALLY.AN ALARM GOES OFF.
MEMORY (CONTINUED)
Mr Thought, Mr Thought, Sir! We need to get Ed up and out!

Sorry Michael. Posted that and then saw your post. Great minds... Or at least one great and one pretty mediocre one.

Oh. There's lots more too. I've only posted this to illustrate my post. I'm going to stop now as I'm acquiring the defensive nature of someone who's just posted his first piece of writing.

I like "what in Dawkin's name." Also that the inside of his head is the same as his flat.
The main problem is that all the characters are having to name one another and say what they do. The American sitcom got round this by explaining everything in the introduction, which presumably went out before every episode. I'm sorry, but I find the idea so complicated that it couldn't possibly work, but you've been beaten to it anyway, so that's academic. Time to think of another idea!

*Numbskulls.

You could always do a version set in a man's balls?

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Numbnuts.

It's cool! Only thing I'd do is cut down the descriptions - a bit literary for a script. The audience only get the visual. I like the word 'blob' though, especially about jizz.
It's kinda funny that 'mediocre' is the worst thing you can throw at a writer. 'Wanker, f**khead, One Direction fan', but not mediocre.

Hi everyone.

Thanks for the feedback. It is genuinely appreciated. It is indeed back to the drawing board time. Literally in my case as I've decided to learn animation. (Another steep learning curve). Hopefully that way, I can at least get a few of my ideas realised before they're mercilessly stolen by the evil creators of Toy Story.*

* For any lawyers, related in any to Pixar, I don't actually think that you hacked my computer and pilfered my ideas. It's just a soul destroying coincidence.You shits.**

** I don't actually think you're shits. It's a visual metaphor that says more about my deep sense of frustration.

Actually. Numbnuts has got me thinking... ;)

Like the off the wall take, reminded me of the Woody Allen sketch of sperm waiting to launch. This sort of thing needs to be seen as there's plenty of room for visula humour.

I seriously doubt Pixar has a Libido character trying to persuade one of the protagonists to have a wank.

If anything, Pixar coming up with a similar concept works in your favour because you can style it as parody... what we *really* think. Plus you can probably write funnier sex scenes.

The bigger problem you've got with the small section of first draft you've posted is that the best line - "Primark Russell Brand" - is a stage direction.