Hancock's Half Hour Page 8

Thought I had found it!

The Junk Man

Hancock decides to have a clean out and starts with a drawer of rubbish. But he puts almost everything back! When Sid James calls in the guise of his new profession as a rag and bone man, Miss Pugh sells some of Hancock's treasured possessions to him whilst he is out of the room.

But no......... :( Shame as I was convinced at the start of the prog. that this had to be it. Very funny though, of course so well worth the listening. :D

Quote: ScotiaNova @ 18th September 2014, 3:52 PM BST

Just relistening to some early Hancock and my favourite running gag is where Hancock breaks off to have a chat with a background character (played by Simpson) . . . "Really?" . . . "I see" . . .

That's what I thought my unknown quote may be.

What "amuses" me is when either or S or G do have some lines, they sound so wooden - they may write wonderful scripts but actors they ain't. :D

What is your favourite episode? Not easy when there is so much gold, but the one that never fails to raise a laugh with me is Sunday Afternoon at Home** - a classic and so well observed as that was my Sundays as a kid, and oddly enough the BBC weren't keen on it being set in the one room and seemingly going nowhere. I think they said the same about The Bed Sitter aka Hancock Alone in the TV - how wrong they were.

**It was also the episode that won hands down in the THAS poll each year.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 16th November 2014, 9:37 PM GMT

I know I should know. But I don't. Or if I do I can't remember.

Can someone tell me which episode this quote comes from please?

"Look at this China Dog. A family heirloom. Intrinsic sentimental value, this. It was my mother's. Clacton's Fairground, 1926. She struck three darts in the six of diamonds without batting an eyelid. And Drunk, I might add. A feat unequalled by the rest of the coach outing."

Just heard back from THAS:-

Hi HGT,

Martin Gibbons, the THAS Website Administrator, tells me that your Hancock piece comes from the trailer for the 6th BBC series in Australia although the wording is slightly different on the trailer.
He wonders if the wording comes from an original script and was amended slightly.

Best with which we can come up.

Mick

No wonder I couldn't remember it ! :D

Ta.

I think series 1 of HHH is quite weak. This is mainly due to the inclusion of Moira Lister, a terrible actress with an irritatingly posh accent that doesn't fit in with Hancock and Bill Kerr. Kerr is too sensible and normal but becomes a much better character in subsequent series when he's more of the feckless, unemployed and skint Aussie.

For me, HHH is best when the plots are about normal issues like passing the time on a Sunday afternoon. When they're about accidentally competing in a boxing championship or getting caught up in a smuggling ring they're way too contrived,

The addition of Kenneth Williams was definitely a major factor in the series improving.

Quote: Alexei Q @ 17th December 2014, 10:14 AM GMT

I think series 1 of HHH is quite weak. This is mainly due to the inclusion of Moira Lister, a terrible actress with an irritatingly posh accent that doesn't fit in with Hancock and Bill Kerr. Kerr is too sensible and normal but becomes a much better character in subsequent series when he's more of the feckless, unemployed and skint Aussie.

For me, HHH is best when the plots are about normal issues like passing the time on a Sunday afternoon. When they're about accidentally competing in a boxing championship or getting caught up in a smuggling ring they're way too contrived,

The addition of Kenneth Williams was definitely a major factor in the series improving.

Early days were finding their feet. Maybe her inclusion was Tony trying to get a bit of class in his life, and have never really thought about her being out of place - a stalwart of British cinema and wouldn't call her a terrible actress.

Yes, Sunday Afternoon at Home is my all time favourite that I never tire of. Classic!!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 17th December 2014, 5:07 PM GMT

Early days were finding their feet. Maybe her inclusion was Tony trying to get a bit of class in his life, and have never really thought about her being out of place - a stalwart of British cinema and wouldn't call her a terrible actress.

Yes, Sunday Afternoon at Home is my all time favourite that I never tire of. Classic!!

But in HHH her piping, posh voice irks me. Thank God for Hattie Jacques in the next series. Not aware of anything else she was in

What's the title of the song performed by Tony while he's walking on stage in Spanish Interlude?

This? "Rolling Round the World"..........

Here's a clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg31kTi01Rc

Yes, this is it!!!

Thanks Herc!

You're welcome :)

Quote: Tuumble @ 28th February 2013, 12:07 AM GMT

...my boss once said he'd rather gouge his eyes out than watch Hancock's Half Hour.

Your boss is blind. Or at least he will be. Hancock was best in class in his day. Hatti & Sid were great also.

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 22nd April 2015, 9:47 AM BST

Your boss is blind. Or at least he will be. Hancock was best in class in his day. Hatti & Sid were great also.

I've worked for humourless gits like that in my time. Dead from the neck upwards.

I know the name Moira Lister from TV in the 60s. I really can't remember what she was in but she seemed to be in loads of things.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0514263/

Another Saffer like Syd!

Moira Lister de Gachassin-Lafite, Vicomtesse d'Orthez (6 August 1923 - 27 October 2007