Ballot Monkeys

This is fantastic!

Andy Hamilton and Guy Jenkin bring back the old Drop the Dead Donkey formula of writing many of the scenes at the last minute to play off current events.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/ballot-monkeys

Great ensemble cast, strong characters, funny jokes...

I can't remember a stronger opening to a sitcom recently.

Watch the first five minutes and tell me that isn't how you write a sitcom.

I really enjoyed it - though I thought Hattie Morahan was a little under used - can't wait for next week.

Yeah, I liked it too. Talented cast. Nice to see some familiar faces from Uncle etc. Especially good to see Andy Nyman in another meaty role as the UKIP damage controller - wonderful.

I thought it was ok on the first viewing, but watched it again (when maybe I'd seen a bit more news) and absolutely loved it.

As a reviewer in one of the papers said though, you do find yourself saying, that can't really have happened only to find it did (Paddy Ashdown in particular)

The main problem for me is that it's divided into four separate ensembles, who as yet haven't been able to connect with one another, which makes it very bitty.

Quote: beaky @ 24th April 2015, 6:36 PM BST

The main problem for me is that it's divided into four separate ensembles, who as yet haven't been able to connect with one another, which makes it very bitty.

That's true, although it feels to me more like a collection of themed sketches.

That's true, but I liked the different vibes they got in what was just 4 micro-sets. Very good performances, and some sharp writing.

I presume the final 4-way West Side Story fight will happen in the last episode ;)

Saw ep2 first and was not too sure, but have just caught up with ep1 which was excellent. Not sure whether it has shot its bolt or just needs to be seen in the correct order to be appreciated.

No, the 2nd episode definitely wasn't a patch on the first, though still had many fine moments. Am hoping that doing three episodes in three days next week won't be spreading it all too thin!

Only just caught this last night. Don't know which episode I saw, but I think you've touched it with a needle with your critique.
It's 'separateness' does seem to be its chief weakness.

But considering that much of it is being made on the hoof, this seems a decent effort, I feel. It exceeded my expectations (admittedly, they weren't high).
And yes, it's the actors who breathe much of the life into it.

It's nothing great, but it entertains.

I must say in the episode I caught there was at least one real laugh in it for me. These days one is thankful for such small mercies...

Ballot Monkeys is set on a bus. Perfect. No engaging with the outside world of humanoids. Mobile phones, tablets, Twitter and a coffee machine no-one can work.
I think Ed, David & Nick can all relate to crawling under the duvet after a campaign and eating a bumper pack of Digestives. Nigel will still be down the pub.

I found some laughs, not usual for me in comedies these days.
And Michael Fenton Stevens late of Radio Active and KYTV.

Just watched ep 2, it was much better than I feared from comments I'd come across (here and elsewhere).

Not sure I agree about the problems with the teams being isolated. Not only is that a neat comment on politics being separate from real existence, and parties not really engaging with each other in any meaningful way, but what could happen if they all met in a scene? Would it be like the end of Bugsy Malone?

Quote: gappy @ 2nd May 2015, 10:03 PM BST

Just watched ep 2, it was much better than I feared from comments I'd come across (here and elsewhere).

Not sure I agree about the problems with the teams being isolated. Not only is that a neat comment on politics being separate from real existence, and parties not really engaging with each other in any meaningful way, but what could happen if they all met in a scene? Would it be like the end of Bugsy Malone?

I don't think the references to the isolation of the team really mean they ought to come together.
I for one didn't mean that.

But if you have separate small groups of cast which never meet, you have very few options regarding inter-relations.
This severely limits what you can really do.
It will by definition therefore be the same three characters meeting every time.
The limitations are quite obvious - yet unavoidable.

I definitely see what you mean. For me, though, I'd say that whilst the limitations are obvious, they are not necessarily fatal to the show. Although, having said that, I am not certain they'll be able to keep it working as a show for 3 consecutive broadcasts - but I shall check in to find out.

And, after all, most sit coms feature a small number of people interacting in the same small environment for most of the time. This has just taken it to extremes, and done it 4 times simulataneously. Laughing out loud