The most underrated comedy of all time? Page 13

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 13th April 2015, 12:24 AM BST

In this country?

How about 'Dinner for one' with Freddie Frinton?

It is a tradition in Germany. Been shown every new year's eve on the same channel for decades now.

That is pure comedy genius.

But not sure if it qualifies on this thread.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 13th April 2015, 1:20 AM BST

That is pure comedy genius.

But not sure if it qualifies on this thread.

Well, the title of the thread didn't really specify it needed to be a series.
Albeit that most seem to have treated it as such, so you're more than likely perfectly right.

I just thought Freddie was worth mentioning.
That sketch is oddly unknown by many folk over here, despite being one of the best ever made.

Everyone knows 'Two candles'. But you mention 'Dinner for one' and you mostly get blank looks.

Glad to hear you share my appreciation of that little gem.

Not that surprising, as it's never actually been produced for - and maybe not even broadcast on - television here, to the best of my knowledge. It was a stage routine filmed for German television, not a sketch from a long-forgotten British series.

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 13th April 2015, 12:24 AM BST

It is a tradition in Germany. Been shown every new year's eve on the same channel for decades now.

Channels...you can't miss it on December 31, they show it on many channels at different times so you have several chances to see it.

Fawlty Towers.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 13th April 2015, 7:35 AM BST

Channels...you can't miss it on December 31, they show it on many channels at different times so you have several chances to see it.

Must have changed since. Over twenty years ago I lived on the continent, where we received the Teutonic broadcasts. SW3 always showed it every new year.
I guess several other channels must have since got in on the act.

A man whose entire comedy act was virtually based on that one character, but it served him well and he did it very well. Much missed.

Quote: DuckAvenger @ 23rd June 2013, 7:20 PM BST

Hippies

Yes! Was just about to say that one!

That show really impressed me. Arthur Matthews really carried it off perfectly by himself with the writing whilst graham linehan really stumbled when doing his later 'it crowd'. It's bloody hilarious, has a great cast, and a lot of father ted esque moments. And it's urinate-whilst-chuckling funny as well. If you'll excuse the image. I genuinely never understood why people didn't like it.

I thought The Goodies was the most unappreciated UK comedy from the BBC - it got good ratings at its peak (about 10 million for Series 5) but it has largely been airbrushed out of BBC History, save for a late-night repeat slot at an unearthly hour in 2010.

It had ambitious special effects (compared to other UK comedy shows, the only comedy that had FX back then were usually the kids' shows, and one or two basic jump-cuts in Benny Hill).

The Goodies often played like a live-action cartoon, a very different approach from the mostly studio-bound offerings of the period - although Python and Dave Allen for example often had good outdoor skits as well.

Quote: Rico El Vista @ 14th April 2015, 8:18 AM BST

I thought The Goodies was the most unappreciated UK comedy

Goodies was Good. I think it may have dated. Bit like "Soap", if you remember that sit com, which would be my vote.

Mind you if Germany still watching Dinner for one, then maybe humour never dates in Germany ? Or maybe it never matures ?

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 14th April 2015, 3:12 PM BST

Mind you if Germany still watching Dinner for one, then maybe humour never dates in Germany ? Or maybe it never matures ?

They're still watching it because it* has become a modern new years eve tradition, that's all. Germany has moved on comically, a few years ago improv comedy was the big thing there (although the enthusiasm for it seems to have cooled off rather quickly). Smack The Pony like sketch comedy is still very popular there. And they've adapted The Office ('Stromberg')...which is hardly "Dinner For One"-style comedy.

Sieg heil!

*So do we in Switzerland...and I think also the French show it on december 31.

Goodies was fab. Still awaiting a full DVD box set release on that one. A truly gloriously silly show. Their public information film on the birds and the bees never fails to get me in stitches. Or that black pudding one - which can kill!

Quote: Aaron @ 13th April 2015, 1:41 AM BST

Not that surprising, as it's never actually been produced for - and maybe not even broadcast on - television here, to the best of my knowledge. It was a stage routine filmed for German television, not a sketch from a long-forgotten British series.

But, Meet The Wife must qualify eh, Fread ?

Well yes of course, but Meet The Wife isn't Dinner For One, is it? :P

I've gone up a level . . . . Unimpressed