Newsjack - Series 12 Page 8

Ta. Downloaded the podcast.

That Hawking joke was great. Best audience reaction of the night too.

I usually submit one liners to Newsjack but held off this week to see what the new production team favoured.

OK, well done to those credited, but I was puzzled by some content. It's supposed to be topical comedy so why select material referencing menstruation and defecation? Or use wordplay just for its own sake (item about camera awaiting development)? Did the editors mistakenly repeat the Rifkind giving up something for Lent gag or was there a subtle difference between the two versions?

I didn't get an email, but my name appears in the credits... unless there are two 'Andrew Stephenson's

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b053n0y9

I haven't listened to it yet so I don't know whether they used anything of mine or if it is just a coincidental name-thing

Quote: Blinkered @ 27th February 2015, 3:38 PM GMT

I usually submit one liners to Newsjack but held off this week to see what the new production team favoured.

OK, well done to those credited, but I was puzzled by some content. It's supposed to be topical comedy so why select material referencing menstruation and defecation? Or use wordplay just for its own sake (item about camera awaiting development)? Did the editors mistakenly repeat the Rifkind giving up something for Lent gag or was there a subtle difference between the two versions?

Completely agree. The fact that they appear to have used some people's material without informing them suggests the repetition of the Rifkind joke wasn't deliberate. Could be that this series isn't just written by amateurs but produced by them.

Quote: Blinkered @ 27th February 2015, 3:38 PM GMT

I think they've said that Breaking News can be topical and non-topical. I'd prefer if it was purely topical but it can have both. (Although they may change their mind if people start clearing out their pun drawer!)

Quote: thebda @ 27th February 2015, 8:22 PM GMT

I just had a listen and it turns out one of my voxpops was on there (the one about latin) and I didn't receive an email about it. I would have listened last night if I had known. Has this happened to anyone else?

I'd drop the producers and e-mail or tweet them - they are usually good at sorting this out if you ask nicely. It might be the case that two people submitted a similar gag but always worth checking.

Quote: andysteph81 @ 27th February 2015, 8:51 PM GMT

I didn't get an email, but my name appears in the credits... unless there are two 'Andrew Stephenson's

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b053n0y9

I haven't listened to it yet so I don't know whether they used anything of mine or if it is just a coincidental name-thing

Again ask the producers. It might you did have something in the script but it didn't make it through. (I had something similar happen to me last series!)

There only seemed to be 6 lines used in the 'Viewsjack' section and no short commercial type bit that I noticed. Seems odd if they want 3 of each viewsjack and breaking news but use so many more breaking news.

Just finished my submissions for this week - got a good feeling about this lot.

Quote: jabashe @ 1st March 2015, 2:33 PM GMT

Just finished my submissions for this week - got a good feeling about this lot.

Brilliant. I reckon you've got a really good chance with at least one of them. I'm trying to think of some good jokes about menstruation.

Hi can I come and play please? I had a go last week but only had one sketch to submit. I've got the full allowance this time. I don't think topical comedy is my strength but it does seem to get easier with practice.

I hope it's ok to ask for some tips. I was wondering if there's a proper way to indicate accents. Should I put it as a direction the first time each character speaks, or if they're all speaking with the same accent should I put it just once before they start speaking?

Also - and please tell me off if I'm being cheeky! I wondered if anyone would be willing to share their intro gags from last week's submissions. I can't seem to get the hang of this part.

Thank you and good luck to everyone for this week!

I wouldn't worry about being topical. Judging from last week's programme, they don't seem to be that bothered.

I would just put directions at the beginning. But what do I know. I submitted 3 topicals and 2 vox pops and none of them were broadcast.

Quote: Jenni @ 2nd March 2015, 8:07 AM GMT

Hi can I come and play please? I had a go last week but only had one sketch to submit. I've got the full allowance this time. I don't think topical comedy is my strength but it does seem to get easier with practice.

I hope it's ok to ask for some tips. I was wondering if there's a proper way to indicate accents. Should I put it as a direction the first time each character speaks, or if they're all speaking with the same accent should I put it just once before they start speaking?

Also - and please tell me off if I'm being cheeky! I wondered if anyone would be willing to share their intro gags from last week's submissions. I can't seem to get the hang of this part.

Thank you and good luck to everyone for this week!

For accents (or other traits to a character's voice, including if they should be Male or Female) I'd state this the first time they speak. It's usually best to put a separate one in for each character so an actor can quickly look at their part and see what's needed.

Rather than ask for reject intro gags here it might be better to listen to last week's show and write down a few of the intros used. That way it'll be closer to what the crew are looking for!

Hello. Just reporting back on the writers room - Viv and I went today.

So... there were 6 of us in total, including another pair. We gave 3 ideas each and then we wrote up short versions (beginning, middle and end) of these until lunch time. Then Toby picked 2 out of the 3 that he wanted us to work on and gave notes and suggestions for changes to direction etc. Then we wrote them up in the afternoon.

It was a lovely day and really nice to be in the heart of the comedy department.

Now we're feverishly working on the oneliners for tomorrow's submission....

Congratulations to the two of you. Really good to hear that hard work can pay off. And it sounds like fun.

Thank you Steve!

More importantly Bonzo, any feedback on the cake?