The Great Netflix Debate - Sketch Script

The Great Netflix Debate

(2 friends at home choosing what to watch on netflix.)

Steve: (holding xbox controller, flicking through movies) "So what sorta movie you want to watch tonight?"

Joe: "I noticed the hobbit is on there now" (joe suggests)

Steve: "Nah"

Joe: "The godfather is on there too. I have never got round to watching that"

Joe: "Jackass?"

Joe: "Well what do you want to watch?" (Joe asks, beginning to get slightly agitated)

Steve: "Dont know" (says with eyes fixed on the screen as movies flick by)

Joe: "So we're just going to be scrolling through the movies all night?"

Steve: "Im just looking, give me a chance"

Joe: (folds arms, sitting back in chair)

(5 minutes pass, steve is still looking through movies)

Joe: "Well?"

Steve: "Wait a second...." (Begins typing into search bar, looking for a specific movie)

Joe: (perks up hopefully) "Yeah?"

Steve: "Nevermind, it was taken off" (goes back to flicking through movies)

Joe: "You have to be kidding!"

Steve: "What? I don't want to waste my night watching a movie I regret picking!"

Joe: "You'll be wasting your morning if you keep going like this!" (Joe's voice picks up)

Steve: "You never were patient were you, joe? You could never just trust in me"

Joe: "Oh f**k off with that shit! Im always being held back by your so-called 'patience'. The world doesn't wait for people like you, and neither should i!"

Steve: "Oh sothat's how it is, is it? Im holding you back?"

Joe: "Yeah you f**king are! Thats why im spending my Friday night at your place as a 23 year old! Im supposed to be out in the world, getting laid by drunk women"
Steve: "Your getting married this summer!"

Joe: "Exactly! Makes it even more fun!"

Steve: "Well im sorry you had to be with me instead of taking advantage of the night life's supple, young women" (says with a sarcastic tone)

Joe: "You make it sound so much worse than it is"

Steve: "But that is what your wanting to do though, isnt it?"

Joe: "Well when you simplify it down I guess it is... But don't tell me you wouldn't enjoy it!"

Steve: "Of course I wouldnt! Id much rather be at home with a close friend sharing the experience of watching a movie"

Joe: "You consider me a close friend?" (Says quietly to steve)

Steve: "Yeah man, your my best friend and always have been"

Joe: "I guess I'd say the same about you." (smiles) "Y'know, you can pick a movie. And take your time doing it" (says much more happily, affectionately patting steve's back)

Steve: "Thanks man. This is why we're such a good team" (begins flicking through movies again) "In fact, let's watch the hobbit - my treat"

Joe: "Wow...no-one has ever done anything like this for me before... Thank you. (Steve starts playing the hobbit) "Steve, I think this would be a good time to ask you to be my best man"

Steve: "No way! Of course I will! I would be honoured" (hugs joe)

Joe: "I can't think of anyone better for the job" (while hugging)

(Hug breaks and they turn their attention to the hobbit. As opening scene begins, steve's internet connection cuts out and netflix stops)

Joe: "Oh steve...you and your shitty internet connection!" (Says with rage) "You and your connection can f**k off from my wedding!"

The first small point to make is where you've written 'you're' as 'your'. Minor perhaps but it annoyed me and it could annoy a script ed.

The sketch itself is... well is it a sketch? Don't get me wrong, I like it, but it's too much of a slow burner to be a sketch. It feels more like a scene from a sitcom, like a joey/chandler exchange. If you want it to work isolated, they way I think you do, you need more obvious gags (at least one every other line, I would think) and to cut it in half. I like the payoff, though, and it is funny, I think you just need to clearer about what you're writing. Wave

I think the double-edged sword of infinite choice in the 'net age is a good point to make, and I thought the wedding stuff gave the guys some character, but I sort of felt there wasn't enough there to justify the length, I'm afraid.