Sketch Writing Competition - London Sketchfest

In the hunt for great sketch comedy London SketchFest is going back to where it all begins - the writer's room.

For 2015 we're launching a new competition called Sketch Scribe, open to sketch and comedy writers to help shine a light on raw and undiscovered talent.

We're opening our doors to aspiring and amateur comedy writers to give them a platform to get recognized and a chance to engage with members of the comedy industry.

The competition will form part of the festival's free programme at this year's London Sketch Comedy Festival, taking place at The Artworks in Elephant & Castle.

HOW IT WORKS

From all the submissions we will choose 10 successful scripts. The writers of each script will be invited down to the festival where their sketch will be performed live by a troupe. An industry panel will judge the sketches and select a winning script.

THE PRIZE

Each participating writer will have a chance to receive feedback on their script from the performers and the winning writer will be crowned Sketch Scribe and receive one-to-one a session with a professional script editor.

HOW TO APPLY

We're looking for written sketches up to 6-minutes long (roughly 6 pages) that a troupe of up to 5 performers could play.

Submissions can be emailed to admin@londonsketchfest.com with the subject field marked 'Sketch Scribe' by the application deadline WEDNESDAY 1ST APRIL.

More details on panel judges and prize mentoring session to be announced.

Is it just me or is this deadline suspicious?

hey there, the festival is at the start of May so this deadline allows us a month to sort through the sketches and select the final 10 + allocate to the sketch troupes before then. let me know if you have any other questions :)

Okay, if it's legit I think I'll enter

Hello - this looks great, please could you confirm:

What mix the performers are i.e. five women?
What age range they can play?
Is there a restricition on content i.e profanity?

Many thanks!

Also do writers have to attend festival if they live some distance away

Hello Sketch fest,
How many sketches are we allowed to submit per person?
Thanks
Neil

Got an email today to say that one of my sketches is being performed at this. Unfortunately I can't go to it as I'm the wrong side of the Irish Sea. If anyone is popping along to this look out for 'The Shoogaloo'.

Huzzah, we did quite well in this competition too. Well worth entering, hopefully it will be back next year too!

Do we send one sketch that lasts 6 minutes or a number of sketches that add up to 6 minutes?

You send them via time machine, the comp closed in April.

Quote: BenC @ 4th May 2015, 11:25 AM BST

Do we send one sketch that lasts 6 minutes or a number of sketches that add up to 6 minutes?

As sooty says the deadline has passed but you could sign up to the BBC Writers Room and they'll update you with competitions.

Thanks to everyone who submitted to the inaugural Sketch Scribe competition!

10 writers sketches were selected and performed by a series of up-and-coming sketch comedians in front of a panel of judges including Simon Nelson (BBC Writer's Room Development Producer), Ben Worsfield (Lucky Giant Development Producer) and Andrew Ellard (Comedy Script Editor).

After watching all the sketches and withdrawing to read scripts the judges finally selected Michael J. Byrne's The Shoogaloo.

Michael will now receive a one-to-one session with Andrew Ellard (The IT Crowd, Red Dwarf, Brass Eye, The Peter Serafinowicz Show).

http://www.londonsketchfest.com/news/sketch-scribe-2015-winner/

Congratulations, Otterfox! :)

Quote: Courthousecomedylab @ 6th May 2015, 5:32 PM BST

Congratulations, Otterfox! :)

Ditto, well done (not exactly ditto but you get what I mean)!