Newsjack - Series 12 Page 3

Out of interest, has anyone got tickets for episode 1?

I got some for episode 2 but not 1 (I can't go to 1 now anyway so that's ok - but other people I know have applied for episode 1 and not got anything either - just wondering...) :)

UPDATE - I got sent tickets for episode 1 on Tues.

Quote: thebda @ 16th February 2015, 10:21 AM GMT

Only episode 2 for me as well.

See you there then! :)

Hey

Would anyone be willing to share a sketch or ad that they've got used in the show? Would love to look over stuff they've used before. Listened to the show lots before but just want to see what it looks like on the page (if that makes any sense)

Quote: MrBoombastic @ 18th February 2015, 8:43 PM GMT

Hey

Would anyone be willing to share a sketch or ad that they've got used in the show? Would love to look over stuff they've used before. Listened to the show lots before but just want to see what it looks like on the page (if that makes any sense)

This is on the BBC site as a sample. http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/radio4/transcripts/eg_sarah_campbell_dyson_silent_hairdryer.pdf

Quote: DerekJRipley @ 19th February 2015, 9:44 AM GMT

This is on the BBC site as a sample. http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/radio4/transcripts/eg_sarah_campbell_dyson_silent_hairdryer.pdf

That is a well crafted very funny sketch. No wasted lines and great use of sound effects.

Hello
Can someone advise me, where the guidelines say 130 words maximum for adverts, does that include the speech tags, instructions on how lines should be read etc or is that just for the dialogue?
Trying to write an entire sketch in 130 words is not easy. I'm also not sure how strict this is - I've just listened to an advert from the last series, which was about a minute and a half.

Quote: Fella @ 19th February 2015, 8:45 PM GMT

Hello
Can someone advise me, where the guidelines say 130 words maximum for adverts, does that include the speech tags, instructions on how lines should be read etc or is that just for the dialogue?
Trying to write an entire sketch in 130 words is not easy. I'm also not sure how strict this is - I've just listened to an advert from the last series, which was about a minute and a half.

Hi - I asked a similar question at the writers briefing - mine was 'is the intro included in the 130 words?' - the answer was no (thank goodness). But I think that instructions will be included in the word count.

Does anyone know if there is a word limit for one liners? I'm assuming they don't literally have to be one line.

Quote: Bonzo @ 19th February 2015, 8:51 PM GMT

Hi - I asked a similar question at the writers briefing - mine was 'is the intro included in the 130 words?' - the answer was no (thank goodness). But I think that instructions will be included in the word count.

Thanks Bonzo. I will have to choose my words carefully...

Quote: DerekJRipley @ 20th February 2015, 3:37 PM GMT

Does anyone know if there is a word limit for one liners? I'm assuming they don't literally have to be one line.

No real limit but obviously make them as sharp as possible. For Vox Pops it's usually 1.5-2 lines and breaking news is usually 1-1.5 lines. (If you need a rule of thumb)

Thanks.

Another way of finding out is to write down all the previous "one-liners" and work out how many lines they are?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 22nd February 2015, 12:35 PM GMT

Another way of finding out is to write down all the previous "one-liners" and work out how many lines they are?

Any idea where I can find them? I can only find sketches on the website.

Quote: Bonzo @ 19th February 2015, 8:51 PM GMT

Oops! Are we supposed to be writing intros for the advert too? I thought it was just for the two sketches. That's what I was doing during the last series, anyway.

Bugger ...

I didn't think intros were needed for the 30-second sketches - I didn't write them last series and one of mine got used. The sketch was a sort of 'apology' so the premise of it was set up in the text itself.

Having said that, if you write an intro and it's good, they will probably use it...

Also, funny how I'm here discussing the minutiae of submissions instead of actually getting on with writing the sketches. Ah, procrastination, my old friend.