Love Thy Neighbour Page 9

Quote: marac @ 2nd February 2015, 5:16 PM GMT

Mind Your Language has been repeated here but I couldn't remember when and on what channel until I looked it up. It seems it was back in 2007 on Men & Motors late at night. I do remember they did show Love Thy Neighbour at some point. It could well have been UK Gold back in the 1990s. I wonder if every episode was shown? The DVD releases I think may be a couple of episodes short as they were banned. UK Gold were much braver in the early days showing a bigger range of sitcoms than they do today and some of them still haven't made it to DVD.

Ah, Men & Motors! Of course, yes. I recall that now.

And yes, Love Thy Neighbour was repeated by Gold back in the early days. There are not any episodes missing from the DVDs though.

Finished watching series 7. Not bad, but not as good as some of the earlier series.

I noticed that actor Oscar James who appeared in series 5 as Roy is then seen again in series 7 as a workman. Also Victor Noonoo who plays Charlie in episode 1 series 7 & then makes another appearance as Mr Sylvester (Manager) in the 'Power Cut' episode 6 series 7. Was this a case that there was a shortage of black actors in this country at the time to fill these roles?

EDIT : Can anyone tell me where I can find information on the actor Victor Noonoo? I have looked on imdb and done a Google search, but can't seem to find any details on him.

I just ordered the 8-diskette set [with 57 episodes, I think].

I have not witnessed this show since the transmissions of the early series, but look forwards to seeing it again-----I am openly, and proudly, non-Pee Cee, so this series is right up my street.

Quote: Rico El Vista @ 14th February 2015, 9:58 AM GMT

I just ordered the 8-diskette set (with 57 episodes, I think).

Well they only made 53!

(Plus an unbroadcast pilot. And a short.)

Quote: Aaron @ 14th February 2015, 11:48 AM GMT

Well they only made 53!

(Plus an unbroadcast pilot. And a short.)

The Radio Times Guide To TV Comedy book says 56 episodes excluding the unbroadcast pilot.

54 half hours
1x45 mins
short special 1972

Yes, a very useful book indeed, but not to be taken as gospel. It's riddled with errors and oversights!

I am just glad this material never got wiped , I will report back after I. view the first series.

Keep 'em peeled, pop pickers!

Quote: marac @ 14th February 2015, 2:18 PM GMT

The unbroadcast pilot.

Love My Neighbour unbroadcasted?

Amongst those who have never seen it, especially the self-righteous PC brigade, Love Thy Neighbour has become the Anti-Christ of 70s sitcoms. The politically correct thought police have declared it to be racist and must NEVER be repeated - and that's the end of the matter. Well for those of us old enough to have watched it the first time round, and have the kind of common sense which disqualifies us from being PC, it clearly is nothing of the kind.

Watch the episode Voodoo. Eddie puts a voodoo curse on Bill to prove that black people are primitive enough to believe in it. But Bill knows what Eddie is up to and pretends the curse has worked and he is dying. He tricks Eddie into running naked round a tree reciting a chant which includes the words "me white honky", the only way a now terrified Eddie thinks he can lift the curse. At the end of the episode, realising he's been tricked, he says to his wife Joan "He made me look a bloody fool, love." She looks at him and says "Eddie, you ARE a bloody fool!" Of course he's a bloody fool - he's a racist.

Sadly on Planet PC, it's received wisdom that Love Thy Neighbour is a vicious, racist series, and people who have never seen an episode in their life just believe what they're told. Thank God I grew up in the 70s when our heads were screwed on properly.

Great words of wisdom, there, Knotty!

Well, the complete set arrived early this very day, and I have watched the first 4 episodes, including the previously unseen [by me] pilot.

Going by the first entries, this series holds up pretty well: the pilot contains some scenes reworked into the first 'proper' episode amd Eddie Booth sports a bad haircut: however the original actress who played his wife is more attractive than the dowdy-frump Kate Williams. [Williams was well-cast in her role.though].

Top-drawer benefits contained within this winning series include:

sharp, compactly-written scripts, ably delivered by Driver and Powell, ensuring the weak-minded bigoted Booth character is revealed as a racist loser.

A perky----and we are talking SERIOUSLY perky ------theme tune, memorably sung by Stuart Gilles, a household name of 1972.

Tastefully revealing shots of the delightful Baden-Semper, sunbathing in the Reynolds back-garden, just this side of acceptably gratituitous .

Top-notch supporting roles in the local pub, from 'Tommo' Godfrey and Jacko Half-Pint, along with other assorted 'Jack-the-lads'help to seal the deal, character-wise.

Priceless references to how crazy inflation has got in the past 40 years: references to pints of beer for 16p, and a semi-detached house is valued at 8 thousand pounds!

All these quality benefits---and much, much more----ensure that modern dross like Keith Lemon can be easily jettisoned, as long as high quality work like this can be enjoyed and savoured.

Bravo!

Hello there. Does anyone know where I can get the film on DVD? If it is out on DVD that is?

See Amazon product listing

It's also available in this box set: https://www.comedy.co.uk/shop/item/187/the_british_comedy_collection_dvd/

Cheers Aaron.

I had no idea the great Spike Mullins wrote episodes of this.

As I recall it was quite cleverly written ,not only the racist element but with politics and gender.With the two wives always making more sense than the men.