The Now Show - Series 41

This programme is still one of the best shows on Radio 4, but does anyone else miss Hugh Dennis performing on the show? Jon is good but it is Punt and Dennis, not Punt and Culshaw.

I definitely prefer Hugh Dennis on the show, if only because it means fewer unnecessary impressions. My overall feeling of The Now Show in recent years is that it is stuck in a rut, and whether or not I enjoy it seems to depend on the stand-up guest they have on. Shame...

I understand what you mean, when it was just a straight forward line up (Punt and Dennis, Benn, Shavin, Holmes, Brigstocke) the structure of the show was great.

Hi, could anyone upload Episode 5 (25th Oct 13) please or PM me, missed it as on holiday for more than 7 days. Doncha hate BBC podcasts!

I still enjoy this. John Finnemore has made quite a few recent contributions which always helps. It does miss Hugh though.

Still afraid to make jokes about Muhammad, aren't you?

I've just listened to the Now Show

Brave song at the end about "We're still going to do it" and making fun of everybody except you aren't are you.

I'd have hoped you'd show some solidarity with Charlie Hebdo, by making a joke at the expense of Mohamed.

But as usual you were too chicken, too scared. I'm asking you to be gratuitously offensive. But you regularly make fun of Christianity, you did this week.

The reluctance of Western broadcasters and comics to include Islam in their repertoire, makes the few that are brave enough to be perceived as somehow.. extreme and outrageous.

This is not at attack on Islam, rather it as an appeal for censorship, conscious or unconscious to end. do't you think you owe Charlie Hebdo that at least

I like a lot of R4 comedy but although I'm not right wing in any way, I think that too much of their comedy output is too left leaning. The Now Show can be somewhat like that, but the News Quiz is the worst offender by far.

Quote: paulted @ 10th January 2015, 7:23 PM GMT

I like a lot of R4 comedy but although I'm not right wing in any way, I think that too much of their comedy output is too left leaning. The Now Show can be somewhat like that, but the News Quiz is the worst offender by far.

Agreed, although to be fair, they do give Miliband junior a hard time.

I wish they'd get some more up to date references.

And while I like Mitch Benn in other areas, I don't like his songs at all. This weeks was horribly 'worthy' and lacking in humour.

Quote: Questions questions @ 10th January 2015, 1:15 PM GMT

Brave song at the end about "We're still going to do it" and making fun of everybody except you aren't are you.

Don't knock it, that was the only poignant irony in the show.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 11th January 2015, 10:06 PM GMT

Agreed, although to be fair, they do give Miliband junior a hard time.

Agree with you on that, but really the whole Miliband thing now is like picking on the weediest kid at school. I'm no labour supporter, but I feel sorry for the poor guy :(

Quote: paulted @ 12th January 2015, 10:05 AM GMT

Agree with you on that, but really the whole Miliband thing now is like picking on the weediest kid at school. I'm no labour supporter, but I feel sorry for the poor guy :(

Spot on: they do. A tiny bit like The Mary Whitehouse did in the 1990s - poor M Khan of north London!

I'm enjoying this series (no real surprise there).

I'm a little disappointed at the anger generated at comedians when such terrible, cruel event occur.
I don't take comedians that seriously!? I'm more interested in what the world leaders have to say.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about this forum. I'm dyslexic and enjoy lurking even if I don't post much! I'm posting my feelings here because,frankly, I don't want to talk with those that have posted hate elsewhere (I smell trolls). A cartoonist is murdered - lets vilify Steve Punt. Really?! not even Punt and Dennis for hosting the show - just Punt. Seriously?

I kinda agree with the now show that some things aren't funny (waits for the inevitable "yeah, like the now show" reply) and have no place in a comedy sketch. Really liked their free speech stuff this week and the Frozen stuff last week.

Thanks for reading. And again, I'm NOT referring to this forum!!!! I like hearing your views!

In Pippa Evan's song, she mentions "George's Marvellous Meth factory" as an update of a classic. Which classic is that? It doesn't sound enough like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to be correct.

I am still enjoying the Now Show. Always makes me laugh outloud.

Quote: Nogget @ 7th February 2015, 5:59 PM GMT

In Pippa Evan's song, she mentions "George's Marvellous Meth factory" as an update of a classic. Which classic is that? It doesn't sound enough like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to be correct.

Another Roald Dahl classic, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George%27s_Marvellous_Medicine