Live Sketch Show Looking For Writers

Hi guys,

I've just launched a new live sketch show in Glasgow called Beyond a Joke and I'm putting out a general call for scripts from anyone who thinks they can deliver a genuinely funny sketch or sketches for a comedy stage.

The idea behind this is to offer an actual opportunity for writers who have good material but who don't yet have an audience or any sort of outlet. It's hard to get much or indeed any material on the radio, never mind the TV and most writers aren't keen on performing it themselves. Okay maybe secretly some of you are.

So what happens to all the great material you've written in the solitude of your own home? Chances are it never gets an audience and ends up being curled into a tight paper ball and tossed angrily at your desktop upon hearing the latest viewing figures for Mrs Browns Boys (insert own comedy bĂȘte noire here).

Send me your scripts and if they're good I'll put them in the show and if they're really good and go down a storm I'll post a video of the sketch being performed on the Beyond A Joke Facebook page which you can watch, share, show off to anyone you like or ignore as you see fit. The audience are given voting slips on the night and they decide which sketch was the best.

So there's no producer with a tin ear for comedy gold deciding that your sketch is no good when you know better. Well OK there's me. But if I like your sketch and think it will work it will go into the show and an audience based jury of your peers will let you know it it's as good as you think. Our first show was on Tuesday and I'm including a link here to the winning sketch so you can see what it all looks like.

Some important info:

There are four performers and it's live on stage with no props or sound effects so you need to write for that setup.

The show is based in a small comedy club in Glasgow called Yesbar but I'll happily take sketches from anywhere. Anywhere at all.

Nobody's messing around with any rights or anything silly like that. You wrote the sketch, it's yours and you'll be properly credited for it.

Finally, no, sorry. There's no payment for this although I wish there was. It's a very small comedy club and any money on the door goes to the performers, which on balance, is fair. But if your material is strong and goes down well on the night - and we'll work very hard to wring every possible laugh out of your material - then you'll have a video, or at the very least an audio recording online with the sound of an audience laughing their socks off at something you've written.

This is all coming from a good place with no hidden agendas, false promises or a desire to take advantage of anybody. Not every comedy writer lives in London with its numerous live shows or has access to performers. There are probably lots of other opportunities just like this, maybe even on this very site. But this is mine. I'm a writer just like you and I want somewhere to put my material and good material from other writers who can deliver. So I've set up my own night rather than wait for something to come to me.

If this isn't for you then no harm done. But if, as I hope, that you see this as a fun opportunity to have your comedy voice performed and actually heard by an audience then go over to the Facebook page (lik is below) for details on where to send your sketches. The next show is on Tuesday 10th February but I'd need material by the end of January to give the actors time to rehearse.

Here's the winning sketch from Tuesday night. You don't have to think it's great because the audience did so now it's online. And Conan is delighted. I hope you get to be delighted next month. Thanks for reading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JndCTqZG2XU https://www.facebook.com/Beyondajokelive

awesome

one question where do you want us to send stuff

Hi SootyJ, thanks for the interest. The email address is on the Facebook page - see the link in my posting above. I don't want to risk the wrath of marketing trolls by posting it here so it's embedded in an image on a pinned post at the top of the page.

It looks like a Scotch* Newsrevue.

(*Yes I know!)

Fab.

It's look great and those guys nailed the Scottish accents which I know from personal experience is a tricky one! Well done all round.

Well sent a few over to you, fingers crossed.

Brilliant stuff - really pleased to see this opportunity.

Quote: Marc P @ 16th January 2015, 9:40 AM GMT

It's look great and those guys nailed the Scottish accents which I know from personal experience is a tricky one! Well done all round.

Scots get everywhere, why in my local the Scrofulous Lobster everyone turns Scottish after my 20th pint.

And when I put my hand up the barmans kilt, turns out she was a lady and I got banned.

It's all go in Sheringham.

;) Och aye!

Wave welcome elmonstro. I really enjoyed that sketch and the cast's performance.

Couple of questions.

1. Is it topical stuff you're after or anything.
2. I take it the performers accents are their normal accent?
3. If we write a sketch will they use their own accent
4. (This is a daft one) De we need tee reet like in Our Wullie, or do we just write in English and they will 'translate'.
5. Do I sound very needy?

Quote: Will Cam @ 16th January 2015, 11:00 PM GMT

Wave welcome elmonstro. I really enjoyed that sketch and the cast's performance.

Couple of questions.

1. Is it topical stuff you're after or anything.
2. I take it the performers accents are their normal accent?
3. If we write a sketch will they use their own accent
4. (This is a daft one) De we need tee reet like in Our Wullie, or do we just write in English and they will 'translate'.
5. Do I sound very needy?

1. Definitely not. We had a sketch about the opening ceremony for the Great Wall of China in the first show. Write funny, that's all that matters.

2. Yes.

3. The performers are all Scottish but don't write for Scottish accents. Write a funny sketch and if they can do the accent then that's how they'll play it. If they can't they'll either get as close to it as they can or they'll work with an accent they can do. Like any show the performers will play to their strengths which may very well be their natural accent if that's what feels comfortable but it's not a Scottish show. It's just staged in Scotland.

4. Good God no. Write in English. I implore you.

5. Absolutely. But that's probably a good thing. It means you have one of the two main ingredients inherent in EVERY comedy writer who has ever lived. The other main ingredient being funny bones. So send me some great scripts and I'll do my best to get a comedy club (and internet) audience to validate the needy hell out of you. Everybody wins. No one gets hurt. For now at least.

Quote: Will Cam @ 16th January 2015, 11:00 PM GMT

De we need tee reet like in Our Wullie.

All Fringe plays need to be written like this!

Hi there,
Although I now live in N.I, I was born and educated in Burnside, which is just South of Glasgow. I grew up watching Still Game and Chewin' the Fat. When I saw this, I immediately searched through my computer, and I have a few sketches that I've written a while back that's written in the style of the Glaswegian comedies. I will PM you my favourite one, thanks,

-Lewis.

Hi,

Glad your opportunity is meeting with a strong response - not all do on here and I think it's a mark of how well you've pitched it and your general attitude.

One question - when you say no props, do you mean , literally, nothing.
Do you have tables and chairs for instance.
If someone was meant to be holding a mug of tea would they have to mime?

Cheers

(Bet you can't wait for my "Two blokes sitting at a table having a cup of tea" sketch..)