Room 101 - Series 4 Page 3

Enjoyable tonight, will now have to try and find Frank dying on stage at the Royal Variety. I wonder when that was?

I'm a big fan of Frank and Jack Dee. No real opinion of Gary Lineker or Fay Ripley.

But I thought tonight's episode just seemed really flat. It looked like they'd all been told some really tragic news right before they started filming. Even the studio audience sounded uninterested.

I still like the show in general, but I wish they would go back to the old one-on-one format (but still with Frank hosting).

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 9th January 2015, 9:38 PM GMT

but I wish they would go back to the old one-on-one format (but still with Frank hosting).

Fully concur. 'Twas much more interesting. Frank with just Jack would have made for a great half hour for example.

I disagree. The old one was just an interview basically.

Quote: Alexei Q @ 9th January 2015, 4:13 PM GMT

Indeed, a good start to the series which I think is a better format than the original, although with Nick Hancock it was far better than the Merton years. My only gripe is why the BBC don't broadcast the full 45 minute show or however long it is and not the edited 30 minute version.

I think they do. It's called "Room 101: Extra Storage"

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th January 2015, 8:39 AM GMT

Fully concur. 'Twas much more interesting. Frank with just Jack would have made for a great half hour for example.

I third this suggestion, although it had some funny elements, the one-to-one format seemed to work better.

Was Gary Lineker annoyed during the show? He was kind of snarling under a smile if you see what I mean?

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 14th January 2015, 8:59 PM GMT

I third this suggestion, although it had some funny elements, the one-to-one format seemed to work better.

Thank you. :D

Quote: Chappers @ 10th January 2015, 4:32 PM GMT

I disagree. The old one was just an interview basically.

Well, you are wrong to think that. Take it back. Take it back now.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th January 2015, 8:39 AM GMT

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 14th January 2015, 8:59 PM GMT

Now I'm thinking they should keep the three guest format and have myself, Hercules and TheBlueNun on as guests.

I'm a big fan of Frank and Jack Dee. No real opinion of Gary Lineker or Fay Ripley.

But I thought tonight's episode just seemed really flat. It looked like they'd all been told some really tragic news right before they started filming. Even the studio audience sounded uninterested.

I haven't watched it in ages, but what felt very flat was when Frank chose the winner of each round. It all seemed a bit random, and that the guests didn't really care much either. And he made sure that each guest won one round, and it looked like they all knew that would happen. If one guest actually chooses the best three things, and argues his/her case the best, then let them win all the rounds.

And you knew the "Wild Card" round would appear too *yawn*.

I still like the show in general, but I wish they would go back to the old one-on-one format (but still with Frank hosting).

I agree the old format was better. I've only watched a few times since it changed because I don't think it works. (It's also possible that I've got bored/tired of the concept anyway, having seen the show so many times, going back to the Nick Hancock era.) Anyway, I preferred Paul Merton as the host. I think I like Frank best with he's with David Baddiel.

I thought tonight's was really good. Frank was on good form and while they weren't particularly funny, Fiona Bruce and Ray Mears were good fun.

Katherine Ryan absolutely stole it. Brilliant and original comedian. I'm starting to really like her quite a lot.

Yes, really enjoyable and Frank was on fire. :D

Quote: George Kaplan @ 15th January 2015, 1:02 AM GMT

I haven't watched it in ages, but what felt very flat was when Frank chose the winner of each round. It all seemed a bit random, and that the guests didn't really care much either. And he made sure that each guest won one round, and it looked like they all knew that would happen. If one guest actually chooses the best three things, and argues his/her case the best, then let them win all the rounds.

I went to see it recorded last year and - much to my surprise - they record separate takes of each of the contestants winning for every round. And then they construct the winners in the edit. I guess that's to maintain full flexibility in the edit but it did mean their response was more "acted" than surprise. They might still be doing that.

"squeals"

FIONA BRUCE WAS ON ?

Where's the catch up button?

Quote: LippyAlison @ 17th January 2015, 12:47 AM GMT

I went to see it recorded last year and - much to my surprise - they record separate takes of each of the contestants winning for every round. And then they construct the winners in the edit.

Oh..........Yes,it does seem to be a well rehearsed show, albeit enjoyable for Frank's contribution.

Today's episode wasn't exactly exciting.
Alexander Armstrong was cool but otherwise I found it boring.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 17th January 2015, 8:29 AM GMT

Oh..........Yes,it does seem to be a well rehearsed show, albeit enjoyable for Frank's contribution.

Interesting. It does seem a bit 'staged' at times and that explains it. I haven't watched last night's yet because I was at choir, but it's on my viewing list tonight.