Blunder: C4 sketch show, 2006

Does anyone else recall this sketch show, including David Mitchell and Nina Conti?

My recollection was that it was quite spectacularly abysmal!

Never 'eard of it Mister.

Characters included the Baron, Mr Shut Up, and Funniest Girl.

Was it pre or post 'Bruiser'? Watching the early series of Peep Show has brought home just how much Mr Mitchell has matured. Not that it's a bad thing, per se; he has always admitted to being a young fogey.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 2nd January 2015, 4:03 PM GMT

Was it pre or post 'Bruiser'?

Blunder was in 2006. Don't know when Bruiser was.

Quote: Phoenix Lazarus @ 2nd January 2015, 4:26 PM GMT

Blunder was in 2006. Don't know when Bruiser was.

2000 apparently; I don't recall watching it at the time, but rented it last year for a Matthew Holness fix.

I bought Blunder on DVD last year for a pound. I'd never heard fo it, but I figured it had some good people involved, and would be worth a spin.

It was not. The worst of noughties comedy, mixing hideous "embarrass the audience with rude bits" stuff, and poassable gags that are repeated, Viz style, without variation each week. Avoid.

Well I still like The Baron, although I didn't get on as well with his recent 9 minute vimeo, which is arguably better, a proper arty horror movie short which fleshes out the character in various locations with good support. http://vimeo.com/66592658

It's good but prefer him capering about in front of an audience in the original show, for quicker belly laughs anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvH5y7ZHoDs

Don't see the point of using a sledgehammer to crush a dead show's nuts. It set out to be daft and succeeded. The audience is happy enough, indeed often on the verge of pissing itself.

'a dark crab of doom, with pincers of evil...'

I remember this as decent enough post-pub comedy when you're drunk enough to laugh at pretty much anything, but wouldn't want to watch it sober. I think one of the main running gags was a bloke trying to chat up women while his bollocks fell out of his underpants. Hilarious, eh? Angelic

Quote: Basil Rathbon @ 5th January 2015, 1:22 PM GMT

I think one of the main running gags was a bloke trying to chat up women while his bollocks fell out of his underpants. Hilarious, eh? Angelic

You're conflating two of the characters there.

Quote: Phoenix Lazarus @ 5th January 2015, 1:40 PM GMT

You're conflating two of the characters there.

Yes, one of them was a bloke trying to chat up women whilst nothing of note happened. Huh?

To be fair, I quite liked the bollock master the first time, and the Baron, and a few of the others...but strictly the first time, things just never changed week on week.

And, yes, I appreciate some people in the audience a decade ago found it quite funny, but I think enough time has gone by for us to give an honest opinion without upsetting them. *Someone* finds everything funny, let's not jettison critical discourse on that account.

Quote: gappy @ 5th January 2015, 6:44 PM GMT

Yes, one of them was a bloke trying to chat up women whilst nothing of note happened. Huh?

The most pointless of all the sketches. At least the others-however dire-did have some sort of punchline. The would-be seducer would just end by pretending to try and hump his 'victim' on the sofa beside him, while his theme music played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioBFf59sy6c

Mr Malibu revival starts here?

Is he the lounge lizard father of (whisper it softly) Dapper Laughs? The Scarlet Pimpernel of the lagered libido? Whose comeback video has vanished. No Celebrity Big Brother appearance. Although there's a rubbish new prank vid.

Rhys Thomas (Mr Malibu) was one of the 44 signatories to the open letter to Dapper Laughs deploring sexism and misogyny.

I like Rhys Thomas, not accusing him of hypocrisy. Maybe he's lucky this character didn't catch on.