Sitcom Christmas Specials Page 3

It probably can't be done for copyright reasons or whatever but I'd love to see a DVD released of classic Christmas specials or a boxset of them. One I'd add to my list would be Rab C Nesbitt, I think was early 90s when it was at its best. Jamesy in a reindeer onsey. Laughing out loud

My Favourite Christmas specials

On The Buses Christmas Duty & Boxing Day Social.

OFAH There is quite afew good ones mine are, Rodney Come Home, Mother Nature's Son, Heroes and Villains are just bloody fantastic.

2point4 Children - Babes in the Wood & Two Years Before the Mast were just brilliant.

The Office Christmas Specials the first part and the second part are Just pure class.

Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em: Learning to Drive just bloody brilliant from the start.

The Vicar of Dibley,The Christmas Lunch Incident.
Steptoe and Son A Perfect Christmas.

And alot more to.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 14th December 2014, 9:45 AM GMT

It probably can't be done for copyright reasons or whatever but I'd love to see a DVD released of classic Christmas specials or a boxset of them. One I'd add to my list would be Rab C Nesbitt, I think was early 90s when it was at its best. Jamesy in a reindeer onsey. Laughing out loud

Well there is this:

See Amazon product listing

I'm going to dig out my Blackadder's Christmas Carol DVD as it's bloody brilliant. I saw the Keeping Up Appearances festive special where Richard gets drunk and Liz has to take his place as Santa when they visit the old peoples' home. The League Of Gentlemen one was broadcast recently too and I really enjoyed that.

Just rewatched the LoG Christmas special, probably the best single episode of the series and worth a watch even for the extras. The Doctor Chinnery Jackanory is pitch perfect and there's a documentary that provides an interesting insight into the League's influences and working practices.

Not a Christmas special, but the Psychoville Halloween special is similarly themed like an old amacus portmanteau film. After all the best Christmas television is usually a ghost story...

Quote: Aaron @ 14th December 2014, 3:41 PM GMT

Well there is this:

See Amazon product listing

They've also released this in Region 1: http://shop.bbc.com/us/comedy/bbc-holiday-comedy/invt/16347

Don't know if BBC offers it in R2 or not.

I'm really thinking about buying these two comps. Not necessarily because of the Christmassy content (I hate Christmas) but because they could be a good introduction to lots of shows I haven't seen yet. Especially the ITV one is interesting to me in that department.

Among my favourites...
Gavin and Stacey Christmas Special
Father Ted Christmas Special
Only Fools and Horses Specials are pretty good, some better than others
Extras Christmas Special
The Office Christmas Specials
Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas Specials
Last of the Summer Wine also did some good Christmas episodes but some were better than others.
The Royle Family Specials

The Good Life was er..........a good one.

I'm rather fond of the Rev. Christmas episode from series 2.

BBC News has an article about making Christmas specials, although I strongly disagree that Blackadder's Christmas Carol is not fondly remembered; it's one of my favourite episodes of the show!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30504503

I'd agree that Blackadder wasn't fondly remembered in general - personally I'm on your side and think it's top, but I don't think it the public in general has anything like the fondness for it as they do the rest of the series.

One Christmas episode I'd like to throw in the ring (wasn't a special as it was part of the regular series) is the Peep Show Christmas episode where Mark's family come to the flat on Christmas Day - probably the best British Christmas themed comedy since The Office. Certainly the most realistic, with all the family arguments. Hope they use Mark's dad again in the final series.

Bumped since it's some day on Friday (and not making a new thread!)

Been re-watching stuff I'd recorded from GOLD. OFAH etc, plus there's a few bits on Netflix - Gavin and Stacey, Hebburn (shame that ended but that Christmas special was them ending it on a high!) and I'll be watching The Office specials tonight. Knowing Me Knowing Yule this week.

Father Ted, when they got lost in the department store - the lingerie skit was sooooooo funny. Laughing out loud I think it is on over this coming period.

The Vicar of Dibley - The Christmas lunch incident - absolute classic and everything about it hilarious. Curtis at his best.

One Foot in the Grave - all Christmas specials are wonderful.

Men Behaving Badly - Jingle Balls

Father Ted - Christmassy Ted.

Blackadder - Christmas Carol

Quote: snrub @ 18th December 2014, 2:23 PM GMT

I'd agree that Blackadder wasn't fondly remembered in general - personally I'm on your side and think it's top, but I don't think it the public in general has anything like the fondness for it as they do the rest of the series.

One Christmas episode I'd like to throw in the ring (wasn't a special as it was part of the regular series) is the Peep Show Christmas episode where Mark's family come to the flat on Christmas Day - probably the best British Christmas themed comedy since The Office. Certainly the most realistic, with all the family arguments. Hope they use Mark's dad again in the final series.

Final series, when? Huh?

Quote: G180e @ 16th December 2014, 9:28 PM GMT

Among my favourites...
Gavin and Stacey Christmas Special
Father Ted Christmas Special
Only Fools and Horses Specials are pretty good, some better than others
Extras Christmas Special
The Office Christmas Specials
Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas Specials
Last of the Summer Wine also did some good Christmas episodes but some were better than others.
The Royle Family Specials

I am not a fan of Mrs Brown's Boys, but for some reason, the Christmas specials always go down well with me and I'm a sucker for the whole Christmas set-up. Works very well for this show.