British Comedy Awards 2014 Page 2

Quote: cwickham @ 11th November 2014, 7:45 AM GMT

Why are three of the "Comedy Drama" nominations sitcoms?

Which ones? Rev is a comedy drama, they've got it right, the Beeb have it wrong. Funny yes but its drama's way too heavy to have Rev called a sitcom.

Story arc sitcoms are very popular now, maybe this should be a new category because they tend to hover between sitcom and comdram and it's often hard to say which one they are: See The Trip 2 which I think should be in comdram list, not sitcom.

Why aren't Dectorists and that Recoil one on that list BTW? When the painful HOF is!

Does anyone know if Rik Mayall will be honoured? I will be really disappointed if not.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 12th November 2014, 9:08 AM GMT

Which ones? Rev is a comedy drama, they've got it right, the Beeb have it wrong. Funny yes but its drama's way too heavy to have Rev called a sitcom.

Story arc sitcoms are very popular now, maybe this should be a new category because they tend to hover between sitcom and comdram and it's often hard to say which one they are: See The Trip 2 which I think should be in comdram list, not sitcom.

Why aren't Dectorists and that Recoil one on that list BTW? When the painful HOF is!

Sometimes I think certain shows were intended to be sitcoms but just aren't very funny and end up being considered 'comedy drama' instead. The drama is then increased in later episodes/series to fit this format. I would count Rev and Gavin & Stacey in this category.

It may have an air of sophistication to it due to the Michael Winterbottom factor (and the setting), but The Trip to Italy is not serious enough to be comedy drama. It's consistently funny (IMO of course) and although it had an arc and sub plots, these were peripheral and didn't take presidence over the goofy interplay between Coogan and Brydon.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 11th December 2014, 11:49 PM GMT

Sometimes I think certain shows were intended to be sitcoms but just aren't very funny and end up being considered 'comedy drama' instead. The drama is then increased in later episodes/series to fit this format. I would count Rev and Gavin & Stacey in this category.

It may have an air of sophistication to it due to the Michael Winterbottom factor (and the setting), but The Trip to Italy is not serious enough to be comedy drama. It's consistently funny (IMO of course) and although it had an arc and sub plots, these were peripheral and didn't take presidence over the goofy interplay between Coogan and Brydon.

I couldn't agree more Doug. The last series of Rev seemed to be structured along a Mike Leigh/Ken Loach style: ie apart from the Armstrong and Bain penned episode, it was unremittingly bleak. G&S always veered towards the smatltz as far as I was concerned.

Yep, The Trip To Italy didn't really fit into the definition of a sitcom, nor a drama. I thought that it was an interesting concept and loved the male banter, but it was a bit of a luvvie vanity project at the end of the day.

I watched the nomination show on Tuesday and cannot for the life of me understand why "Uncle" has been placed into the comedy-drama category? Either way I am looking forward to the event.

Why is it not live this year, I notice it is being taped on the 16th and being shown on the 17th.

Quote: G180e @ 12th December 2014, 6:04 PM GMT

Why is it not live this year, I notice it is being taped on the 16th and being shown on the 17th.

My guess would be so they can edit out all the gaffes and embarrassing behaviour. All those loveable comedy people drink too much and turn into twats for the night. Also I think because it always overruns by quite some margin.

There will probably be an 'also tonight' 30 second round up of some 'lesser' awards that get left out of the main edit (I reckon the internet short award will be in this).

Haven't they delayed the broadcast since the Julian Clary/Norman Lamont issue a few years back?

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 12th December 2014, 10:46 PM GMT

Haven't they delayed the broadcast since the Julian Clary/Norman Lamont issue a few years back?

God, a little more than "a few years back"! And no. It's generally been live.

Quote: Aaron @ 12th December 2014, 10:55 PM GMT

God, a little more than "a few years back"! And no. It's generally been live.

I'm getting old Aaron.

I think I'll watch it this year though.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 12th December 2014, 11:00 PM GMT

I'm getting old Aaron.

I think I'll watch it this year though.

It was 1993 Console

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 12th December 2014, 10:46 PM GMT

Think it's more to do with Johnny Vegas's drunken but very funny rant at I believe last year's.

The one where he said Will Ferrell was only getting a lifetime achievement award because he happened to be in the country...

Quote: Ian Morgan @ 14th December 2014, 10:28 PM GMT

Think it's more to do with Johnny Vegas's drunken but very funny rant at I believe last year's.

The one where he said Will Ferrell was only getting a lifetime achievement award because he happened to be in the country...

He was right.

If Johnny gets to give out an award and goes off on one of his rants again, I hope they leave the whole thing in the final edit (and maybe cut some of Jonathan Ross' introduction at the start to make room).

Am I the only one who wishes they were actually more, well, funny. I know we don't get actors doing monologues at the Oscars or the Baftas, but we do get Miley Cyrus violating our TVs on the music awards. The odd sketch here, a bit of stand up there would liven up an otherwise bland awards show. I mean, God knows Jonathan Ross isn't funny....

Unless they do do that now. I wasn't here last year

If it's being pre-recorded, will the results be known ahead of broadcast?

Yes.