Sitcom party scenes, scenes w/ lots of characters

Personally, I prefer writing dialogue between two people. Three people is ok, such as two people trying to have a sensible conversation and one person butting in.

In a couple of episodes I'm working on I have planned out a party, or big event scene. I'm having trouble plucking up the nerve to crack on with them.

Firstly, it seems like there should be a big payoff. But also, I don't feel confident in writing a scene with six, seven, eight characters.

Obviously, I can write short snippets of dialogue between small sets of people and cut between them quickly to create a frenetic, exciting party atmosphere.

But I can't help thinking there's the possibility people are out there who have gone through the same thing and can offer some more practical tips.

You're welcome join in. First drink free for ladies.

You could have 3 or more conversations going on at once, across the group. Timing it well would create funny responses to the last comment, which was from a different conversation. Conversation 1 'Fry-up is favourite for the 2.30 at Kempton tomorrow' Con 2. 'Hello Bob, how are you getting on with your new boss Philip?' Con 1 'Yes, I fancy him' Add Cons 3 and 4 and, verbal chaos ensues.

It could be more subtle than that of course, depends what you want really.

Quote: Lawrence Diamond @ 5th December 2014, 8:11 AM GMT

Firstly, it seems like there should be a big payoff.

First off you need to nail down what the scene is meant to achieve - how it pushes the story forward.
Then work out how the scene affects each of your principal characters - what needs to be said/done to get them from the beginning to the end
Then, with that in mind, where the whole scene needs to begin and where it ends.
Now, write a 'rubbish' version where people say roughly what you need them to say, when you need them to say it, without necessarily being very funny/erudite.
Finesse.

the office and the american office is good at this but it's generally broken down into small groups in little mini scenes within the scene