Toast of London - Series 2 Page 2

I'm still a little confused. Is Mrs Purchase a prostitute or not? I want to know whether to start saving my money for a trip to London. I want to go on a 'What the Dickens' tour then have sex with Mrs Purchase. Sounds like it could be a great day out.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 4th November 2014, 10:35 PM GMT

I'm still a little confused. Is Mrs Purchase a prostitute or not? I want to know whether to start saving my money for a trip to London. I want to go on a 'What the Dickens' tour then have sex with Mrs Purchase. Sounds like it could be a great day out.

I would say, aligned with a one day travelcard, a meal deal lunch and free entry into a myriad of museums, that would be an excellent plan to enjoy the Capital. My advice would be to log onto the website www.mattressbacksoflondon.co.uk and follow the search option from there. Good luck and enjoy.

As for me, I'm planning to take Ray Purchase's Beefeater tour. Back on the subject though, ep2 is up on 4oD.

Suck on that, Sid-a-ney!!

Quote: Ben @ 4th November 2014, 6:19 PM GMT

Many great scenes last night and very enjoyable. My favourite scene had to be the one featuring Toast as Dickens arguing with Purchase as an anti-gay beefeater.

Same here followed by the post-match debate as to whether Mrs Purchase was a real prostitute, with Ray apparently the only person paying for sex with her. A good start to the series.

"My balls are starting to fizz."

A very good start to the series.

Some funny parts last night, but the plot wasn't very coherent and had endless tangents. As a result it all seemed to end very suddenly.

I think Toast's directorial debut went downhill too quickly, but Robert Bathurst seemed to enjoy himself!

I was looking forward to this after the first series. The scene with Purchase and Toast as beefeater and Dickens, conducting a megaphone argument on the open-top tourist buses had me snorting coffee from my nose- and I hadn't even been drinking any.

Episode two was a different animal, with the Nettles guest slot etc. This series could go anywhere- after the series one finale, that is saying something.

It was good, but I agree that it was more of a melange of sketches than the second show in a series of six? Maybe it's because Berry and Mathews are emailing one another ideas instead of meeting face-to-face? I did enjoy John Nettles' cameo though, especially as I loved him in Bergerac.

Loved this week's episode. A return to form after a slight wobble (I thought) last week.

Proper silly. Proper funny.

Glad writer Arthur Matthews is having some well-deserved success with this show. Have always felt he's (somewhat) had to live in Graham Lineham's shadow - even when it came to 'Father Ted'. As a writer, you can see his expert hand in crafting each episode. (Though, no doubt, Matt Berry, is a talented and delightful bloke to collaborate with.)

As I've said before (I think) 'Toast Of London', 'Chickens' and 'Plebs' have been the sitcom highlights of the last year or so. More please.

:)

Agreed, Linehan stole a march on him with The IT Crowd and Black Books but not they're back on level pegging, kinda. Much enjoyed The Moosetrap with the cast who've lost all contact with the outside world for the last 60 years and the SatNav with Toast's Al-CESTER...

Surely there must be a real sat nav voiced by Matt Berry. It seems like too good an idea to not already exist.

Very funny. I kept thinking Robert Bathurst reminded me of John Le Mesurier, then I remembered he played him in one of those BBC4 comedy biopics a while ago!

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 18th November 2014, 3:39 PM GMT

Surely there must be a real sat nav voiced by Matt Berry. It seems like too good an idea to not already exist.

Matt is the voice of Absolute Radio so it's not out of the realms of possibly.

Very funny. I kept thinking Robert Bathurst reminded me of John Le Mesurier, then I remembered he played him in one of those BBC4 comedy biopics a while ago!

He sure did in BBC4's Hattie starring the fantastic Ruth Jones. I read her biography a while back and it was terribly sad at times, however some of the stories were great.

What are people's thoughts on the musical interludes during Toast? I find them a bit odd to be honest.

Matt Berry has certainly made a good career out of talking loudly and stressing unexpected syLLABles.

I do quite like this show, though, it has a good balance between absolute madness and sit com character and structure (contrast Snuff Box, where the mix didn't really work)