How NOT to write Sitcom one day course

This One day course on Saturday September 20th in central London, will give the beginner and struggling writer a leg up in order to work out the problems of concept, character, milieu, plot and sales potential.
Sitcom is the hardest of all TV forms and formats to create and feedback before submission is vital. We will discuss your work in a friendly and supportive environment, but also one geared towards selling. I limit participants to ten maximum to ensure max feedback for all.

I am currently a script editor for BBC3 and have worked in the industry for 20 years, also teaching sitcom and writing many books on the subject. Please go to the website for booking details.

www.writingsitcom.co.uk

See under 'courses'

Look - we're all experts in this field - ie How NOT to write a sitcom.

Anyway it's really useful so I'd recommend it to anyone.

(Must dig out my notes sometime!)

I have attempted to illegally download the book several times - without success.

0/10.

Marc looks soulful and pensive in his photo. He's also obviously in a prison canteen.

I have considered going on this course again. Not because I have forgotten what happened before, but because I found it useful for a number of reasons.

Firstly, if you just like sitcom writing then it is a great day out in itself, where you get to be surrounded by the topic you love without any distractions. You are also in the company of other writers who understand what you are trying to do, so you get to talk about the craft without the other person thinking you're weird. It is also a great motivator, especially if you are like me, someone who needs a bit of a pick me up every so often. The course itself is informative and very useful. Pitching an idea you have can be a bit daunting but you learn a lot by doing it. Also, having people go through the first 10 pages of your work can be quite eye opening. All in all I would recommend this course.

Sadly I cannot make the 20 Sept as I have tickets to watch Aston Villa v Arsenal at Villa Park. As a Villa fan they need all the support they can get at the moment!

Stupid question but is Beeb3 yoof comedy?

Marc B still hasn't got a bus pass, y'know!

> Marc looks soulful and pensive in his photo.

It's like... he teaches laughter but on the inside he's actually quite sad.

If you want to be soulful you look up or sideways (like Marc P is looking). He looks demonic...

Quote: Lawrence Diamond @ 27th August 2014, 10:52 AM BST

I have attempted to illegally download the book several times - without success.

0/10.

I read it in the municipal library - equally free, and more civilised.

It's a very good book, I must say.

HI All
Thanks for kind/joshing words.

There are now only three places left on this course so newbies welcome. It is in TWO weeks time on Saturday Sept 20th.

Marc

(not in prison)

(yet)

Final Call.

If you wish to break into Sitcom writing then this course is for you. Many testimonials on my website

www.writingsitcom.co.uk

NEW DATE SAturday November 22nd in Central London

Yes, the BCW conference the following week has plenty of speakers and you may meet an agent or a producer - but IS your work ready to go out? How NOT to write sitcom is my training day to ensure that you know what the hell you are doing.
So many ideas are not fully thought through. So many scripts are great but will never find a producer.

This intensive and cheap (£85) course will guide, mentor and empower (yes, ok,bit much?) you you target your hard work at the right channels and people. As ever, more details and booking on www.writingsitcom.co.uk

See you there.

Quote: Lawrence Diamond @ 28th August 2014, 2:29 AM BST

> Marc looks soulful and pensive in his photo.

It's like... he teaches laughter but on the inside he's actually quite sad.

A certain man made an appointment to see a psychologist. He arrived at the psychologist's office and said to him, "Doctor, I always feel depressed. No matter what I do I still feel depressed. I just don't know what to do."

The psychologist looked at him and said, "Come with me to the window."

The man followed and then the psychologist pointed outside and said, "Do you see that building over there in the distance? Well, there is a sitcom writing course in town and it is really good. There are lots of things to learn, specially the use of three acts. And there is one teacher in particular who is extremely competent. He will make you re-write your sitcom over and over again. Go and see that teacher and I guarantee that you will not have reason to be depressed again!"

The man turned to the psychologist with sad eyes and said, "Doctor, I am Marc Blake!"

Love it!!!