That Friday Quiz Page 128

Friday Quiz August 8th 2014
1. A man trapped under a train was released when hundreds of passengers pushed to tilt the train. Where did this happen? Australia
2. An elephant was pictured this week using what rather unusual object as a back-scratcher? A car
3. Which two English counties share a border with Scotland ? Cumbria & Northumberland
4. When would you wear these? When peeling onions

5. What is the name of the railway operating company in the US? AMTRAK
6. Who replaced George Dawes as the scorer on Shooting Stars? Angelos Epithemiou
7. Which two actors have played James Bond just once in the movies? George Lazenby & David Niven
8. What cocktail is made using equal measures of champagne and stout? Black Velvet
9. What name links these pictures? Aphrodite (Mira Sorvino starred in Mighty Aphrodite and 'Aphrodite' is a Kylie Minogue album)

10. Who is this? Eddie Van Halen
11. In architecture, what name is used for the decorative end of a gable, often in the form of a spike or a bunch of leaves? Finial
12. Which is the only American president that Queen Elizabeth hasn't met since she came to the throne? Lyndon B Johnson
13. Name the TV series. The Jetsons
14. In 1972, which form of punishment was finally made illegal in the United States? Flogging
15. In mythology, which monster terrorized the local population by asking them a riddle and devouring them when they couldn't answer it? The Sphinx
16. According to a famous travel guide, what is the most useful thing an inter-stellar hitchhiker can carry with them? A towel (from 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)
17. The Academy Awards ceremony was delayed in 1968 after the assassination of which person? Martin Luther King

18. You have two containers that fit the same lid. The large one is 12 ounces without the lid. With the lid it weighs twice as much as the small container on its own. The small container with the lid weighs one third more than the large container on its own. How much does each container weigh? Large one 12oz and small 9 1/3 oz

19. What links these pictures: Famous Simons (Amstell; Mayo; Cowell and Pegg)

20. Unscramble the two places : A A C D E E I I L P P S CALAIS & DIEPPE

Quote: george roper @ 3rd October 2014, 8:57 AM BST

Hello steve have you got one for us this week?

6. SOS by ABBA?

8. Richard Branson

I wonder if 8 is Richard Branson

If only we had anyone who was interested in Only Fools & Horses on this site

"I think Gordon is right!"

4. Katharine Hamnett

19. Potato

9. Pavlova and Melba

Having studied and collected antique newspapers for over 40 years, this is an easy one for me.......... :)

17. Daily Mirror

3. Marilyn Manson

14. Mustache

Quote: Oldrocker @ 31st October 2014, 11:17 AM GMT

14. Mustache

I withdraw my offer. :D , but offer this up for a different one:-

20. Angels Demons

12. Christopher Eccleston

"One more and you're out, matey!"

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 23rd May 2014, 1:47 PM BST

No Googling
Max of two answers today & then as many as you want after that

Sorry
I forget to mention it every time

Keep answers down to a maximum of 2 on the first day to give everyone a chance to participate
It's only because we've had smart arses answering every single question on a couple of occasions & it ruins it for everyone else

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 31st October 2014, 1:41 PM GMT

It's only because we've had smart arses answering every single question on a couple of occasions & it ruins it for everyone else

Surely, that wasn't me, 'cause I know nothing...

Laughing out loud