New Dad's Army film

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001621/dads_army_2015_film_cast/

Will it work? Cast looks good.

Depends on your definition on the word "work"?

Funny?

The success of this show owed everything to the characterisations of the original cast; simply recasting is not going to cut it, and re-imagining is not an option. They can hardly go down the Star Trek route and have the young Dad's Army.

Also the appeal to nostalgia was very much of its time. Nostalgia for nostalgia is not going to cut it.

Throw in the abysmal track record of the makers and it is a surefire miss.

As Vic used to say "You wouldn't let it lie"

Saw this being advertised somewhere else today. I would like it to work but have some serious doubts.

Looking at the cast list, I was thinking about the characters and how stereotypical they were. The more stereotypical, the more I felt the ones chosen might just carry it off. Which led me back to Mainwaring because I now feel he is the most unique. He is also more of the lynchpin than I recognised. So if that one is wrong, then all of it could become wrong and I'm not at all sure they have made the right choice there.

Plus filming is in Yorkshire. They originally filmed it in Essex but Walmington-on-Sea was surely meant to be in Kent? Whether Yorkshire can ever look like Kent I don't know. Perhaps just about near Filey or Brid.

A bad idea---on par with the abomination that was Carry On Columbus. Just too many of the original cast long gone---I can only think of one surviving member.

This will be Dad's Army in name only------even the hardcore fans of the original series must know this is a non-starter.

The cast for this movie is superb.

Whether the writing will match it is obviously going to be the big thing. The writer did a really good job with Johnny English Reborn (much better than I expected) though so there is some hope.

I saw a local production a couple of years ago of three episodes and the actors all did an excellent job. They were however using original Croft&Perry scripts.

I will not be paying to watch this at the pictures (not the movies!). I will probably start to watch it when it hits Sky and turn over when I can't take any more.

He said, optimistically.....

I will probably watch it as I support most UK films, but I'm not expecting great things from this---but who knows, if my expectations are low, I might be pleasantly surprised.

Quote: Will Cam @ 8th October 2014, 11:55 PM BST

I will not be paying to watch this at the pictures (not the movies!).

I think this is the key point.
I just don't think there is a cinema audience for this.
It will have to make a lot of DVD sales to pay for that cast list.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 8th October 2014, 9:26 PM BST

Plus filming is in Yorkshire. They originally filmed it in Essex

Norfolk

Quote: A Horseradish @ 8th October 2014, 9:26 PM BST

but Walmington-on-Sea was surely meant to be in Kent?

It's Kent in the existing film, but generally accepted as East Sussex in the TV series.

Not opposed with a good new story. Don't like Walker casting, not sure about Main Wearing but judging by others I imagine he should be good. They will need to get the story going quick smart so people move away from the comparisons as soon as possible.

I was just going to say Norfolk!

Quote: Marc P @ 9th October 2014, 12:47 PM BST

Don't like Walker casting, not sure about Main Wearing

Mays is an awful actor; Jones is excellent but Lowe is an impossible act to follow.

Not sure about Nighy; with his natural diffidence you would think it would work, but then I though he would make a good Slartibartfast...

Difficult to imagine Courtney giving a performance as broad as Dunn, but that is not necessarily a bad thing...

Patterson and Gambon are good actors but Lawrie and Ridley were one-offs.

Have they said who will play the rest of the cast: Hodges, the Vicar, the Verger, Mrs Pike etc?

I don't think Toby Jones as Mainwaring will work because he doesn't seem pompous or arrogant enough.