Detectorists - Series 1

Stellar cast does not equate to quality comedy. Discuss. Disappointing fare I thought. I think I guffawed once. A one guffaw comedy is not a good omen in my opinion. Will give it another go but not hopeful really. Shame as I really wanted to like this.

Maybe more of a comedy drama?

Thought it was reminiscent of Mike Leigh. More of an art movie than a sitcom, perhaps.

I really liked it anyway: good characters, well acted, plenty of story, looked great.

Looks like it might be a slow burner. I enjoyed it enough to want to see the next episode. Toby Jones should be in everything.

I quite enjoyed it. I can't remember the last time I said that about a comedy...

I thought it was well-written, and nicely paced. It made me laugh a couple of times and as someone who likes a bit of 'archaeology action', I nodded - with a smug grin on my face - at the Sutton Hoo reference. :)

I'll be watching Detectorists, next week, with my Phil Harding tribute hat on.

I thought it was great, made me laugh a couple of times and I thought it was beautifully well shot (in my native Suffolk) and acted.

Plus I think I may have a massive crush on Becky/Rachael Stirling.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.

I loved it to bits and back again.

It's not a sitcom by any conventional standards: it's a comedy-drama of the very highest quality in my view.

Beautifully paced script, intriguing plot lines, wonderful humour, top notch production values and Mackenzie Crook, Toby Jones and Rachael Stirling all portray fascinating characters, play their roles expertly and are perfectly cast.

Roll on next week's episode!

P.S. Am I mellowing with age or are people making some excellent comedy programmes these days?

I thought this was great too.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ 3rd October 2014, 2:29 PM BST

I thought it was great, made me laugh a couple of times and I thought it was beautifully well shot (in my native Suffolk) and acted.

Somebody from my neck of the woods - 'Ow yer adoin' Bor! Wave

Made around Southwold I believe..........?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 3rd October 2014, 8:10 PM BST

Somebody from my neck of the woods - 'Ow yer adoin' Bor! Wave

Made around Southwold I believe..........?

Mostly Framlingham, apparently.

http://www.thesuffolkcoast.co.uk/news/a-suffolk-sitcom/

As an active detectorist I watched this programme.
I thought it was slow to start off with, then the penny dropped
That's me.... I saw the true picture of my hobby you have captured it is down to a T.
Well acted that is clearly visible down to the expressions shown on faces.
The club night scene is correct that has been well researched.
The field scenes are good the type of land we prefer was shown clearly.
The type of finds we commonly recover ring pulls on farmland the way that find was portrayed was spot on... The expression on the fella's face was also spot on...
I am looking forward to viewing the next 5 episodes...
Thank you for showing a subject close to my mentality.
I am away now got to wind the rechargeable batteries up for tomorrow's outing in North Yorkshire
Keith.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ 3rd October 2014, 2:29 PM BST

Plus I think I may have a massive crush on Becky/Rachael Stirling.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.

She is lovely. But not quite as hot as her mum was back in the sixties.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 4th October 2014, 4:36 PM BST

She is lovely. But not quite as hot as her mum was back in the sixties.

Rachael Stirling appeals to some people and her mum a(Peel)s to others.

We could have a vote on who's the most appealing but I suspect it might be rigged.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 4th October 2014, 9:56 PM BST

Rachael Stirling appeals to some people and her mum a(Peel)s to others.

We could have a vote on who's the most appealing but I suspect it might be rigged.

It's like Tim Vine has joined the forum!

This was amiable enough to watch again.

I am of an age where her mother how can I put it Em did apeel to me as well.
Insteed Honor or should I say Cathy also looked good in those days too...