Yes Minister Page 6

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13363738

Step forward Jim Hacker !

:D

Quote: Oldrocker @ May 12 2011, 1:05 AM BST

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13363738

Step forward Jim Hacker !

:D

:D Dated so little although to be fair it's probably more of a job for Thick of It's Nicola Murray if she hasn't taken up a post at Yale ("the key people?").

I finished my YM/YPM box set yesterday. It ended with an episode which made Sir Humphrey look like a tit for a change (he didn't realise the mic was still on after a radio interview). Was this planned to be the last episode/season or was the show suddenly axed?

I believe it was intended as the final installment of the series.

Quote: Aaron @ January 8 2013, 4:20 PM GMT

I believe it was intended as the final installment of the series.

Thank you. So, as some sort of happy ending they wanted to show that Humphrey is only human. :)

In the episode The Greasy Pole a character called Sir Wally McFarlane is the chairman of the British Chemical Corporation. This guy has such a distinctive accent which doesn't sound British to my ears. First I thought he's French, then Eastern European.
But I think with a name like McFarlane he must be British. Is he Scottish, Welsh or anything else?

Scottish.

Quote: Aaron @ 20th September 2014, 10:15 PM BST

Scottish.

Thank you very much. I never heard it that way before...no Groundkeeper Willie, no Private Fraser.

Very interesting that you can hear that much of a difference! Groundskeeper Willie is an almost Dick Van Dyke-like caricature of an accent at times, but both Freddie Earlle's (the actor in this case) and John Laurie's are distinctively, similarly Scottish to my ears.

Quote: Aaron @ 20th September 2014, 10:30 PM BST

Freddie Earlle's (the actor in this case) and John Laurie's are distinctively, similarly Scottish to my ears.

I don't know how to explain it but I think Laurie and other "typical" Scottsmen roll R's a bit more like...I don't know...like Adolf Hitler. Whereas this McFarlane guy doesn't pronounce his R's that sharp...on the contrary, he pronounces them like a Frenchman, at least to My ears. But this is only One aspect. There are even more aspects. Short: Fraser and McFarlane do not sound similar in the slightest to me.

It's the same thing with Welsh accents: For example Private Cheeseman from DA and Sgt. Major Shut Up from IAHHM do not sound very similar to me.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 20th September 2014, 10:43 PM BST

It's the same thing with Welsh accents: For example Private Cheeseman from DA and Sgt. Major Shut Up from IAHHM do not sound very similar to me.

No, they're quite different indeed! Windsor's is a very subtle, gentle accent (and hard to hear much accent in it at all when he's shouting!), whilst Talfryn's is incredibly strong. Boy-o.

Anyway, now diverging from the topic of Yes Minister...

An interesting thread.

Quote: Aaron @ 20th September 2014, 10:30 PM BST

Freddie Earlle

Thanks for mentioning his name. I Googled it...I knew I saw him before, he played the cafe owner in the second episode of Going Straight, where he was speaking with an Italian accent.
I liked him in both shows.

Quite a prolific character actor; you'll have seen him in many other things too. Two different roles in each of Dad's Army and It Ain't Half Hot Mum, for example.

Quote: Aaron @ 21st September 2014, 9:58 PM BST

Quite a prolific character actor; you'll have seen him in many other things too. Two different roles in each of Dad's Army and It Ain't Half Hot Mum, for example.

Ah, yes... I think he was an Italian prisoner of war and a Train driver in DA...can't remember him in IAHHM. Very funny guy.

Back on topic: He's great in that Yes Minister episode...I love the scene where he shouts at Hacker "Sit down!"