Dead Ringers (2014)

Suggestions for new voices? Mrs Brown? Rob Brydon? Susanna Reid?

Not expecting the return of you-know-who...

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 9th July 2014, 2:31 PM BST

Suggestions for new voices? Mrs Brown? Rob Brydon? Susanna Reid?

Not expecting the return of you-know-who...

Who's that then, Paul?

Who do they always do? Rolf Harris, of course.

Thought it was quite good this evening.

Miliband and Cable, Penelope Wilton, Sue Mcgregor and Neil Nunes etc.

Think it must be Episode 3 or 4? Hope they do more soon.

Pants as ever! :)

How about Jon Culshaw tries a voice other than his own?

Enjoying it. Interesting that with Culshaw's Nunes impression, he can get away with effectively blacking up on radio.

Who is Nunes?

Quote: Chappers @ 31st August 2014, 5:26 PM BST

Who is Nunes?

Continuity announcer and also does the shipping forecast.

Divides opinion.

https://soundcloud.com/jb_uk/neil-nunes-bbc-radio-4-and

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/8304155/Who-has-the-most-irritating-radio-voice.html

Quote: Nogget @ 31st August 2014, 11:14 AM BST

Enjoying it. Interesting that with Culshaw's Nunes impression, he can get away with effectively blacking up on radio.

Is it though? It's a show for soundalikes not lookalikes isn't it? Can't say many people have a problem with white male Hank Azaria doing Apu on The Simpsons - is that also "blacking up"?

Quote: snrub @ 3rd September 2014, 4:29 PM BST

Is it though? It's a show for soundalikes not lookalikes isn't it? Can't say many people have a problem with white male Hank Azaria doing Apu on The Simpsons - is that also "blacking up"?

I understand the "blacking up" point but in the episode of DR I heard the character merged into the voice that promotes digital radio, D Love. That is surely a bit of a caricature in itself - slightly Luther Vandross and slightly Barry White. I think there is a hint in the DR version of Nunes of mocking the audience. Parts of the R4 audience doesn't take to Nunes and one question is why. Is it prejudice? Not Middle England enough?

D Love is loathed by commercial radio listeners for being an ill-judged concept that could only have been designed by a large committee. If its logic is to win over older listeners, it doesn't achieve it. But I may just be hearing what I am choosing to hear in the show - or finding some reasons to defend it. I do accept that.