Hi Y'All !

Being retired, with time to watch more TV. I now find myself somewhat of an oddity among my fellow residents living in the Southern state of Tennessee. You see, after discovering "Last Of The Summer Wine" several years ago (and loving everything about it). I have become somewhat obsessed with trying to find British comedy TV shows, set in the years 1940 - 1950. They do not have to be made in those years, just have that date range of settings. Although I have several programs currently saved on my YouTube account. I am grateful for any suggestions that can be made for programs I might like. Thanks to all ! Wave

Welcome! :D

"Dad's Army", (my favourite!! WWII) "Ain't Half Hot Mum" (WWII),"Goodnight Sweetheart" (where the main character can go back in time to WWII) "Hi De Hi" (set in holiday camp in the 50s - V.Good!)

There's some starters - I'm sure other people will have some to recommend.

Enjoy! :)

Quote: tnshadows @ 1st September 2014, 10:56 PM BST

Being retired, with time to watch more TV. I now find myself somewhat of an oddity among my fellow residents living in the Southern state of Tennessee. You see, after discovering "Last Of The Summer Wine" several years ago (and loving everything about it). I have become somewhat obsessed with trying to find British comedy TV shows, set in the years 1940 - 1950. They do not have to be made in those years, just have that date range of settings. Although I have several programs currently saved on my YouTube account. I am grateful for any suggestions that can be made for programs I might like. Thanks to all ! Wave

Hello. They are all likely to be made later than that period. TV was closed because of the war until 1946 and only built slowly from that point. But the productions during the 1950s are probably not far removed in spirit from British life in the immediate post war years. At that time, I reckon the emphasis in light entertainment was on "variety". The variety shows, featuring song and dance and comedy acts, were in many ways an extension of the earlier theatre based "music hall" entertainment, much of which actually pre-dated 1940.

But moving more towards the future, Tony Hancock, Benny Hill and Harry Worth were all on TV in the 1950s and there was also "The Army Game", an ITV (commercial) comedy series, which was about people called up to do military service in peace time. Apart from those, it may be worth considering branching out into radio. Some of the best comedy was there, often repeated on BBC Radio 4 Extra which is available on the web.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 2nd September 2014, 12:36 PM BST

Hello. They are all likely to made later than that period. TV was closed because of the war until 1946 and only built slowly from that point. But the productions during the 1950s are probably not far removed in spirit from British life in the immediate post war years. At that time, I reckon the emphasis in light entertainment was on "variety". The variety shows, featuring song and dance and comedy acts, were in many ways an extension of the earlier theatre based "music hall" entertainment, much of which actually pre-dated 1940.

But moving more towards the future, Tony Hancock, Benny Hill and Harry Worth were all on TV in the 1950s and there was also "The Army Game", an ITV (commercial) comedy series, which was about people called up to do military service in peace time. Apart from those, it may be worth considering branching out into radio. Some of the best comedy was there, often repeated on BBC Radio 4 Extra which is available on the web.

The operative phrase there Horse is "set in the years 1940 - 1950" not made in that period :)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 2nd September 2014, 1:14 PM BST

The operative phrase there Horse is "set in the years 1940 - 1950" not made in that period :)

Yes I know.

But I couldn't do that question so I chose another one to answer. :)

Quote: A Horseradish @ 2nd September 2014, 2:35 PM BST

Yes I know.

But I couldn't do that question so I chose another one to answer. :)

Ummm, not much in the way of sitcoms set in that period made later, but you are right about early Hancock TV in B&W with Sid - well worth a look! Certainly gives a flavour of England at that period. :D

The Darling Buds of May was great and features Mrs Michael Douglas in one of her first acting appearances.

There you go - I'd forgotten about that. :)