Arthur Lowe biography

Been reading nothing but comedy biogs for the last 3 years or so and the current one I have just started is Arthur Lowe's.

Page 10 - a contemporary of his who went to the same school in the early 1920s:-

"There used to be a punishment book, and if you went in it more than once you had to go to the headmaster. I remember a lad being caught smoking in the toilets, and the whole school had to assemble. The lad had to drop his pants and bend over a table. He said 'Let this be a lesson to all of you'."

Read into that what you will. :P

I assume he made him smoke the whole packet with his arse

I seem to recall that there was quite a lot about corporal punishment in Roald Dahl's first autobiography, Boy. Ditto in Stephen Fry's Moab Is My Washpot, I've never looked at Vaseline in the same way since....

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 22nd August 2014, 12:48 PM BST

I assume he made him smoke the whole packet with his arse

If that was the case, I bet he was glad he was caught smoking a Woodbine and not a big fat Havana cigar..... >_<

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 22nd August 2014, 1:16 PM BST

I seem to recall that there was quite a lot about corporal punishment in Roald Dahl's first autobiography, Boy. Ditto in Stephen Fry's Moab Is My Washpot, I've never looked at Vaseline in the same way since....

As Neil might say "What a bummer"