The general pop/rock - music thread Page 69

I just had a quick Google

They weren't racist in te beginning

Members were replaced

Replaced by dickheads clearly!

Well as I said I had the first album which was a bit 100mph shouting. Only played it a couple of times and sold it because they were collectable.

NME's 100 Most Influential Artists: 50 - 1

http://www.nme.com/photos/nme-s-100-most-influential-artists-50-1/346061/1/1

What a load of utter pseudo bollocks.

No Buddy Holly? No Chuck Berry? No Bo Diddley? No Robert Johnson? No Beatles (unless I missed amongst the other crap)?

Black Sabbath, the progenitors of heavy metal down in the 40s?

Toss.

I haven't read it as the NME sucks balls

But if the Pistols aren't in the top 3 it's bollox

Quote: lofthouse @ 9th August 2014, 10:57 AM BST

I haven't read it as the NME sucks balls

But if the Pistols aren't in the top 3 it's bollox

3. Kayne West
2. David Bowie
1. Radiohead

These lists will never be accurate, or definitive, but they're an interesting barometer of current critical opinion, and the NME still holds some clout. And, unless you're really "up on things", there might be a few bands/artists on there you're unfamiliar with who might/might not be worth checking out. :)

Just watched this old clip of Golden Earring doing "Radar Love".

Bizarre lack of audience reaction. The girl in the red top, sitting on the stage, doesn't even look at the band half the time. Are they all on valium? Have they never heard rock music before? Have their families been kidnapped, and they've been told they won't be released if they nod their heads, tap their feet, or look remotely happy and excited during the song? Answers on a postcard, please!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf53Pg2AkdY

Maybe they were hypnotised first by the annoying OTT visual effects? No wonder they all look so miserable/numb.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 9th August 2014, 1:56 PM BST

3. Kayne West
2. David Bowie
1. Radiohead

Haha ffs...

Although Bowie is massively influential

Bought my first Hot Tuna cd today:

My other purchases are: The Alice Cooper Show (1977), Foghat Live (1977) and AC/DC`s Live At River Plate (2012)

Dylan
Cohen
Mitchell

the list is endless. NME - No Musical Evolution

Just watched Pointless.

Phil Cornwell said "I'm from Essex in case you couldn't tell."

I don't think anybody got the reference.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 9th August 2014, 1:56 PM BST

3. Kayne West
2. David Bowie
1. Radiohead

It is the NME remember. They really are pretentious and I always preferred Melody Maker or Sounds although now they are in a market of one.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 9th August 2014, 4:01 PM BST

Bought my first Hot Tuna cd today:

My other purchases are: The Alice Cooper Show (1977), Foghat Live (1977) and AC/DC`s Live At River Plate (2012)

I bought a Hot Tuna CD a few years back but I've never played it.

Pretentious? The NME?

49. Death From Above 1979. It's no exaggeration to call DFA 1979 one of the great lost bands of the last decade. Their 2004 debut album 'You're A Woman, I'm A Machine' delivered on both sides of the disco-punk hyphen, and they've served as the template for just about every noise-rock duo who've appeared in their wake.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 9th August 2014, 8:58 PM BST

Pretentious? The NME?

49. Death From Above 1979. It's no exaggeration to call DFA 1979 one of the great lost bands of the last decade. Their 2004 debut album 'You're A Woman, I'm A Machine' delivered on both sides of the disco-punk hyphen, and they've served as the template for just about every noise-rock duo who've appeared in their wake.

;)

It's not Lennon who's wearing the sandals... :O