What DVD are you watching? Page 11

Quote: Chappers @ 23rd July 2014, 8:14 PM BST

Telstar - the story of Joe Meek.

The actor playing John Leyton looked uncannily like him.

Was that Noel Fielding plying Screaming Lord Sutch*?

One point though. The actor playing Heinz was really ugly compared to the pretty boy he really was.

* Sorry - Justin Hawkins.

I saw that a while ago. Directed by Nick Moran, "Lock Stock" actor. Film never really took off for me.

Have you/Lofty seen "Good Vibrations", about the guy in Belfast with the record shop & label who put out "Teenage Kicks"? That was good.

No maybe I thought it was about the beach boys!

Just had a peek on amazon

Looks interesting

Quote: lofthouse @ 3rd August 2014, 2:54 PM BST

No maybe I thought it was about the beach boys!

Just had a peek on amazon

Looks interesting

Yeah, title is a tad confusing.

I reckon it's worth it if you can pick up a copy for around a fiver. (I rented it.) Or wait and see if you get any more opinions on here.

Presumably you've seen already seen this classic?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086589/?ref_=nv_sr_4

I'm about to stick on an episode of Lovejoy from the season 2 DVD.

Quote: George Kaplan @ 3rd August 2014, 2:33 PM BST

I saw that a while ago. Directed by Nick Moran, "Lock Stock" actor. Film never really took off for me.

Have you/Lofty seen "Good Vibrations", about the guy in Belfast with the record shop & label who put out "Teenage Kicks"? That was good.

No - never heard of it either.

Quote: Ben @ 7th August 2014, 10:21 PM BST

I'm about to stick on an episode of Lovejoy from the season 2 DVD.

Did love Lovejoy. My type of programme. A cleverish story, a fair bit of humour and an attractive woman to look at.

Saw "Rude Boy" in the cinema when it was first released. When I rewatched it a few years ago on telly, I thought it held up pretty well. I was at the Victoria Park Rock Against Racism gig featured in the film - remember Jimmy Pursey coming on stage. Also remember the band did a brilliant version of "Clash City Rockers". Steel Pulse, X-Ray Spex, and Tom Robinson were on the bill too. It was quite a day - began with a march, I think.

I like it

The Clash detested it!

Sure the 'story line' is a total shambles and all over the place and makes no sense

But it's just a great documentation of what was going on on the streets at that time

And that's just a nice extra

The thing that makes it is the bloody superb live footage of the band

I never tire of the Police and Thieves part - joe strummer was the perfect front man

Just stuck on Partrimilgrimage: Alan Partridge Specials DVD. Love the "Welcome to The Places of My Life" special but don't think much to the "Open Books" one.

Quote: G180e @ 25th January 2015, 9:22 PM GMT

Just stuck on Partrimilgrimage: Alan Partridge Specials DVD. Love the "Welcome to The Places of My Life" special but don't think much to the "Open Books" one.

Agree with you there. I live in Norwich so I always get an extra kick out of all the locations and local references. The swimming pool interview is a work of genius.

I'm currently watching Batman. Someone just stole a priceless Siamese cat statue from a museum and disabled the security guard by throwing a domestic cat at him. I think this episode's special guest villain might be Catwoman. Now Batman is giving Robin a safety lecture because he didn't wear his seatbelt in the batmobile. Brilliant!

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 25th January 2015, 10:24 PM GMT

Agree with you there. I live in Norwich so I always get an extra kick out of all the locations and local references. The swimming pool interview is a work of genius.

I'm currently watching Batman. Someone just stole a priceless Siamese cat statue from a museum and disabled the security guard by throwing a domestic cat at him. I think this episode's special guest villain might be Catwoman. Now Batman is giving Robin a safety lecture because he didn't wear his seatbelt in the batmobile. Brilliant!

I went to UEA as a mature student back in 2000; I lasted two months and transferred closer to home the following academic year. It was a splendid city though and yes, I've seen the Partridge special and loved the references. I also enjoyed the book festival interview.

Quote: G180e @ 25th January 2015, 9:22 PM GMT

Yeah it's pretty woeful

Quote: lofthouse @ 28th January 2015, 8:34 PM GMT

Yeah it's pretty woeful

There was a guy on the train reading I, Partridge this morning. I must get the e-book to accompany my paperback; Coogan's rendition is superb.

Series 6 of Peep Show; four episodes in so far. Excellent.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 28th January 2015, 8:45 PM GMT

There was a guy on the train reading I, Partridge this morning. I must get the e-book to accompany my paperback; Coogan's rendition is superb.

I've got it

S'ok