I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,640

No Russia human rights record is not, its human rights record against its own population maybe, and that is just maybe, the US's human rights record against the rest of the world, infinitely worse. The Balfour declaration an bit of paper get over it, dear me. Get over this precious ideal of being persecuted then and try understanding who is persecuting who now

Quote: lofthouse @ 2nd August 2014, 11:59 PM BST

If I could snap my fingers right now - and every human being on this planet just ceased to be

I would do it in a heart beat

You set yourself above the principles and sacrifice of Jesus and deny the authority of God?

A piece of paper that was acted upon. Amnesty, think about the US, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Panama, Persian Gulf, Sidra, Grenada..... long list my friend, very choosy about who has human rights

Quote: lofthouse @ 2nd August 2014, 11:59 PM BST

I don't believe in a 'hell'

I thought Christianity was quite hot on that concept?

It was the beginning of the betrayal of the Arab world, after they had contributed to the victory of WW1, if you choose to see it as a blip that is your choice. Russia has bankrolled many regimes, no where near as many as the US, nor has it invaded anywhere near the number of countries the US has, look at the list of wars each has been involved in. I do not hold the US in the sanctity you obviously do, I find it repulsive in oppressive and destabilizing violence. Russia is not in the same league, never has been

Sooty your opinion is one I respect, but to deny the historic importance of Balfour is laughable, as for the other arguments you put forward about the US, Communism etc they show a real lack of understanding of either the philosophy or context. Your stance on Gaza id ridiculous as your argument seems to be worse happens elsewhere, which again is laughable. I rest my case there

Quote: Pingl @ 3rd August 2014, 12:00 AM BST

Communism has only been attempted once and that was in Paris. I think you mean Leninism and Maoism...

Fairly sure Stalinism wasn't the same as Leninism, though Trotskyism would have been pretty similar.

"Lessons must be learned" from the death of a Stevenage diabetic who could not afford electricity to keep his insulin cool after his benefits were stopped.

One year ago on Sunday (July 20), former soldier David Clapson died aged 59 at his home in Hillside from fatal diabetic keto-acidosis, which the NHS calls "a dangerous complication of diabetes caused by a lack of insulin."

His jobseeker's allowance of approximately £70 a week - on which his family says he was reliant - had been suspended three weeks before on June 28, for missing meetings.

According to his family, Mr Clapson was found "alone, penniless and starving" a short distance from a pile of printed CVs, with nothing to his name but £3.44, six tea bags, a tin of soup and an out-of-date tin of sardines.

The coroner found that David - a former BT engineer of 16 years, who had served two years in Northern Ireland with the Royal Corps of Signals during The Troubles - had nothing in his stomach when he died.

Now his sister, Gill Thompson, says "lessons must be learned" by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) before vulnerable benefit claimants are sanctioned in future.

She said: "I rang him regularly to check on him and so did friends, but because he was such a quiet and private person neither family nor friends knew just how bad it was.

"Apparently the DWP rely on information from the claimant, support workers or medical professionals to understand the level of vulnerability.

"Should his severe condition not been taken into consideration when issuing this sanctions? Should someone have checked his file?"

In a letter sent by the DWP regarding the case, head of benefit centres - Claire McGuckin - said "I am confident that the correct procedures were followed for the administration of benefit."

Gill said: "I am disgusted with the DWP response and now feel I should make this more public.

"David should have been helped by health professionals not persecuted by the authorities. He was not a scrounger but wouldn't seek help. He needed true professional and clinical support which never came.

"The authorities should have been more willing to understand and help a vulnerable adult before they die.

"The signs were there and lessons must be learned to ensure cases like this are truly eliminated from a fair society."

A spokesman for the DWP said: "Our sympathy is with Mr Clapson's family.

Speechless

Maybe if Gill, who obviously feels very strongly about this, had made contact a bit more often . . .

Terrible.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 3rd August 2014, 8:04 PM BST

Maybe if Gill, who obviously feels very strongly about this, had made contact a bit more often . . .

Yes there's appeals and hardship payments

This isn't the first story everyone's sad after they're dead but not when they're desperate

Don't be hard,you lot. Sign the petition.

What petition ?

Quote: sootyj @ 3rd August 2014, 9:11 PM BST

What petition ?

yeah, what gives Ms K ?

Eh?

I think it's the caring more about people than snapping your fingers and killing them petition! ;)