As Time Goes By Page 6

Nope there wasn't. I couldn't see this being a movie though

Quote: Chappers @ 20th March 2014, 8:50 PM GMT

Watched a bit of the first episode tonight.

This is more of a drama really. I remember years ago randomly analysing this for jokes/laughs and there really aren't enough to call it a comedy.

I agree. Larbey was never that funny when he was with Esmonde so he was going to be even more 'gentle' without him. I used to love it, but it really does seem almost self-consciously middle-class. In one episode, Judith thought donating clothes to a charity shop meant that the needy would wear them. Alistair was great and he, Palmer and Dench really made it. The country episodes felt like Larbey was trying to write a whole different show, though.

I think ATGB is classic comedy, at least if you believe the dictionary: A dramatic work that is light and often humourous or satirical in tone and that usually contains a happy resolution of the thematic conflict.

Of course, this could lead to discussion about whether there's a difference between humourous and funny...

If you're an ATGB fan check this out: http://astimegoesbyonline.forumotion.net/forum

Goes back to episode 1 on the Drama channel next Wednesday.

Whenever a 'tradesman' is at the door, you can guarantee that the character will be portrayed pejoratively, bemusing Lionel. This seems to have happened quite regularly on the show.

Still, I could watch scene after scene of Lionel and Alastair together.

I didn't mind it for a while, but it's so overplayed in North America. PBS, the public station in the States, has it on permanent rotation and the earliest seasons now are quite dated. I love Dench and Palmer though and it's nice to see them in a comedy compared with some of the dramas they've both been in together.

I know what you mean about being over played on PBS. I've seen it so many times, I had to just promise my self to stay away from it. After several months I broke that promise this Saturday and watched two episodes. I was just in total relaxation for the entire hour. Don't know how to explain it but, I just love that show.

Hi,. first time here.
Sent email to Bonnie at ATGB,"hi how are you", seems to have ended up in dead letter file.
"This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed."
Might have been connected to her site. Hope she is ok.
I'm late to the party re. these sites. Found ATGB/Bonnie last summer.
Been watching it for years. Noticed some posters don't like the show...so why do you watch it...I don't have the DVD because I liked to be surprised when I tune im, which is 2-3 times a week when I get home from work.
I'm glad the humour is not in the form of a joke machine or with laugh tracks.
There is a familiarity with the characters that make it enjoyable.
I am closer to the age of Moira Brooker, and discovered the show years ago when visiting my parents.
Anyway, hello, and hope to join in more. Off to work!

Funny but it's not been repeated that much over here.

Maybe to the Americans it's more your quintessential British comedy but to us it's very gentle.

I wish they would show "The Office" re-runs again, The best , to me.
Have Fawlty on DVD.
Currently, Vicious, Cafe, and Last Tango in Halifax are running, plus the good old oldies.

Quote: ComedyGeek @ 29th March 2014, 10:53 PM GMT

If you're an ATGB fan check this out: http://astimegoesbyonline.forumotion.net/forum

FYI, I clicked this link and got a message it does not exist.

Quote: Rich Barr @ 28th July 2014, 5:46 PM BST

Hi,. first time here.
Sent email to Bonnie at ATGB,"hi how are you", seems to have ended up in dead letter file.
"This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed."
Might have been connected to her site. Hope she is ok.
I'm late to the party re. these sites. Found ATGB/Bonnie last summer.
Been watching it for years. Noticed some posters don't like the show...so why do you watch it...I don't have the DVD because I liked to be surprised when I tune im, which is 2-3 times a week when I get home from work.
I'm glad the humour is not in the form of a joke machine or with laugh tracks.
There is a familiarity with the characters that make it enjoyable.
I am closer to the age of Moira Brooker, and discovered the show years ago when visiting my parents.
Anyway, hello, and hope to join in more. Off to work!

Bonnie is fine. Several of us contacted her soon after the site shut down. She probably got tired of thousands doing the same. Go back a page to see the conversation.

It's a loss for sure.

Regards

Sorry but who is Bonny? Langford?

Quote: Chappers @ 30th July 2014, 12:27 AM BST

Sorry but who is Bonny? Langford?

As is pretty obvious from the previous posts, she is someone who used to run an As Time Goes By fan site.