Carly Smallman on being called an ugly lard arse Page 2

I spend my summer holidays renting a row boat sailing out on rough seas and sending obsene messages via semaphore to light house keepers.

But do you keep your hat on?

Quote: G180e @ 16th July 2014, 2:47 PM BST

I can't believe how nadty some of you are being about her! OK, I'm not a fan of her work but I would never dream of sending her hurtful messages, I feel very sorry for her at the moment but at least she has had the confidence to put it all behind her and rise above it and concentrate on her work. For that, I take my hat off to her.

Well said. I haven't heard of her either, but kudos for being a stand-up, which is difficult for us laydees.

We stand up you sit down nothing new. Being bad at something is never hard.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 16th July 2014, 3:41 PM BST

Well said. I haven't heard of her either, but kudos for being a stand-up, which is difficult for us laydees.

Well, if all the ladies are agreeing with her I must rethink my evenings activities.

Quote: G180e @ 16th July 2014, 2:47 PM BST

I can't believe how nadty some of you are being about her! OK, I'm not a fan of her work but I would never dream of sending her hurtful messages, I feel very sorry for her at the moment but at least she has had the confidence to put it all behind her and rise above it and concentrate on her work. For that, I take my hat off to her.

I don't know what 'nadty' means, any chance you could choose English as a first language? For the sake of expedience, I'm going to conclude that 'nadty' is some colloquial Viking left over from some forgotten part of the country where cow sheds and dole queues abound.

Let's set the record straight, I have sent Carly Smallman exactly the same number of hurtful messages I have sent other female comics - zero. I'm not on Twatter and even if I was, I'd only be following Kanye West - my personal inspiration and the black Jesus of our lifetime.

She hasn't risen above it - it has been the inspiration for her latest show. Without the Twitter abuse, she'd have nothing to joke about. She owes her entire existence to being abused and by making money from the evil practice is complicit with the very behaviour she seeks to condemn. How's this for a face melter, by highlighting her stupid moaning about Twitter, I have created a thread to discuss her on the BCG, thus raising her profile amongst comedy fans and introducing her to a new audience - chicken, egg or immaculate conception? (Discuss)

To be fair to her she pulls a great face when holding the red guitar in a comical way.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 16th July 2014, 4:35 PM BST

She owes her entire existence to being abused

Slight exaggeration there.

How much is outstanding?

Quote: Marc P @ 16th July 2014, 4:54 PM BST

How much is outstanding?

Aside from the level of RC's misogyny? ;)

Quote: Marc P @ 16th July 2014, 4:46 PM BST

To be fair to her she pulls a great face when holding the red guitar in a comical way.

I believe you do to sir....

Quote: zooo @ 16th July 2014, 4:52 PM BST

Slight exaggeration there.

Unlike the amount of abuse she receives on Twitter? After all, she felt the need to do an entire article about it. If abuse wasn't her existence, why would she play the victim card? Unless you're suggesting she's being disingenuous about the amount of abuse she receives?

:S

I mean I can't understand why she has had so much abuse, she isn't even ugly at all. She should send hurtful messages back to the people who sent them her, see how they like it!

But she's got an attractive, quirky face - ideal for stand-up, I'd have thought.Everyone vaguely in the public eye gets twitter abuse, it's par for the course.

You do all realise this is just PR for her new act?
Not that basing an act on abusive internet/social media comments is exactly original.

Perhaps we should Twatter her for that instead.