Carly Smallman on being called an ugly lard arse

https://www.comedy.co.uk/fringe/2014/features/carly_smallman_twitter_abuse/

The ever wonderful BCG Newsletter thingy brought this article to my attention. In it, an unknown female comic called Carly Smallman has a big moan about receiving abuse on Twitter for her looks.

She poses the question why is it only female comics being picked on for their looks and not male ones? That's pretty easy to answer, when was the last time you saw an ugly male comedian on television? The hyper sexualisation of the stand up scene combined with market saturation means that agents and television bosses can pick and choose which tight jeaned Russell they put on the box on any given week.

The days of Bernard Manning, Tommy Cooper and Les Dawson are long gone, replaced by the Tim Minchins and Noel Fieldings of this world. Any of the old guard that do manage to slip through the munter-net are soon given short shrift by both male and female critics.

I wonder how many times a day James Corden is called 'a fat c**t' on Twitter? My mistake, he's a man, the answer must be never.

Smallman ends her pathetic diatribe on the joys of perpetual victimhood with this gem: 'That's why I have written my new show Made In Penge - to speak out about online abuse and draw attention to the fact we still have a long way to go to reach true gender equality ... and it has jokes. Loads of jokes.'

Yeah, sounds f**king hilarious. If only someone could re-programme Twitter so publicity hungry, unfunny stand ups could receive nothing but constant praise as they spam the shit out of their followers and shill their unwanted products to all and sundry? We can all but dream.

When I read this article earlier today it made me think of you.

Quote: zooo @ 15th July 2014, 8:16 PM BST

When I read this article earlier today it made me think of you.

Aaw. Lovey

Is it because you knew I would react negatively to this blatant attempt at invoking sympathy masquerading as feminism?

Or...

Was it because she is called 'Small man' and you were thinking about my winky?

Mainly the second one.

Why did the BCG devote a page to that boring whineathon? God I am getting sick of comics expecting to be taken seriously, you are clowns, fools, mendicants, bloody be funny.
Don't whine about your boring life for a page make us smile.
It's like f**king Bono having a cookery program.

http://witchwind.wordpress.com/2013/12/15/piv-is-always-rape-ok/

here's a juicy bone for you to chew on RCP just don't stick it any bodily orrifice as you'll upset Radical Wind.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 15th July 2014, 8:23 PM BST

Aaw. Lovey

Is it because you knew I would react negatively to this blatant attempt at invoking sympathy masquerading as feminism?

Or...

Was it because she is called 'Small man' and you were thinking about my winky?

I heard you're prick was so inadequate and easily ignored it joined the Liberal party.

Quote: zooo @ 15th July 2014, 8:35 PM BST

Mainly the second one.

Laughing out loud

Quote: sootyj @ 15th July 2014, 8:38 PM BST

Why did the BCG devote a page to that boring whineathon? God I am getting sick of comics expecting to be taken seriously, you are clowns, fools, mendicants, bloody be funny.

Well said.

here's a juicy bone for you to chew on RCP just don't stick it any bodily orrifice as you'll upset Radical Wind.

Is this for reals, like for realsy reals? What a nutjob. 'The term "f**k you" is not an insult for nothing, men know why - it's the worst thing you can do to a human being.' - believe me, after reading this article, I came up with a whole slew of insults far worse than 'f**k you'.

I need to bookmark this article and come back to it. How did you find it?

You should see the insults Jack Dee gets about his face on TV it's disgraceful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyKJMs9IOds

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 15th July 2014, 9:11 PM BST

Is this for reals, like for realsy reals? What a nutjob. 'The term "f**k you" is not an insult for nothing, men know why - it's the worst thing you can do to a human being.' - believe me, after reading this article, I came up with a whole slew of insults far worse than 'f**k you'.

I need to bookmark this article and come back to it. How did you find it?

In Mums Net it's a view surprisingly popular amongst the more radical Rad fems

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 15th July 2014, 8:12 PM BST

I wonder how many times a day James Corden is called 'a fat c**t' on Twitter?

You missed out 'unfunny'
Wave

I think this girl has issues but at least she doesn't fall into the trap of generalising.

How popular a surname is Smallman anyway? Are they dying out?

Quote: Marc P @ 16th July 2014, 10:12 AM BST

I think this girl has issues but at least she doesn't fall into the trap of generalising. Unlike me today I'm being Field Marshal Von Clausewitz and I will occupy nursey oh yes!

One might say there's a Patton to you behaviour.

Love the title of the blog:
Radical Wind. Blowing through the female outerspace
That's just posh talk for a fanny fart, isn't it?

How did the writer think she got here, BTW?

Rape lazzard

Don't be insensitive

Quote: Lazzard @ 16th July 2014, 11:39 AM BST

Love the title of the blog:
Radical Wind. Blowing through the female outerspace
That's just posh talk for a fanny fart, isn't it?

Booyah!

I can't believe how nasty some of you are being about her! OK, I'm not a fan of her work but I would never dream of sending her hurtful messages, I feel very sorry for her at the moment but at least she has had the confidence to put it all behind her and rise above it and concentrate on her work. For that, I take my hat off to her.