The League Of Gentlemen Page 4

It's a fantastic show: clever, dark with some great acting and a fair few twists. I didn't like the film though, which was a shame because Victoria Wood was in it.

If you want something on the same lines I'd suggest Inside Number 9 which is both written by and starring Pemeberton and Shearsmith.

Quote: fustidious @ 3rd July 2014, 9:22 AM BST

this sitcom (yes, sitcom)

Good lad.

I rather feel like rewatching it all now too.
I think one of my favourite things they did is an extra on one of the Live DVDs. It's just a Reece character leaving a series of phone messages, but it's hilarious.

I hope they regroup and put out a new series.

The League Of Gentlemen is one of best shows to ever grace British screens.

In a way they are the bastard offspring of Monty Python and took over their mantle.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 3rd July 2014, 1:23 PM BST

If you want something on the same lines I'd suggest Inside Number 9 which is both written by and starring Pemeberton and Shearsmith.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to that. It hasn't graced our screens as yet (we are a bit behind over in NZ) but I'm sure it will be on soon.

Quote: zooo @ 3rd July 2014, 1:45 PM BST

I rather feel like rewatching it all now too.

Me too! I actually fancy watching it all with the commentaries (not something I usually do but I feel with those 4 it will be worth it). Have been perusing the other extras too and will look out for that one.

Ooh yes, I don't normally bother with commentaries, but League ones are brilliant.

9 more hours

The best show to ever grace the TV screen of the great English people, in short it's a triumph of all its differing influences, and splashed with Hammer Horror, Mike Leigh observational comedy, and far out Pythonism. Great plots and great ideas. Sure a lot of the ideas are cribbed. But it's done with such panache. It's everything that Little Britain hoped it could be, but never was, i.e rip roaringly funny . And innovative, and not frightened to mess with the formula - try the 3rd series when it effectively ripped up its own rulebook.

And yes the commentary track for all the shows, are just as funny, as are the making ofs, plus it has one of the greatest Christmas specials ever.

It truly is in a league of its own.

Quote: Mark Gibson @ 5th July 2014, 1:28 AM BST

The best show to ever grace the TV screen of the great English people, in short it's a triumph of all its differing influences, and splashed with Hammer Horror, Mike Leigh observational comedy, and far out Pythonism. Great plots and great ideas. Sure a lot of the ideas are cribbed. But it's done with such panache. It's everything that Little Britain hoped it could be, but never was, i.e rip roaringly funny . And innovative, and not frightened to mess with the formula - try the 3rd series when it effectively ripped up its own rulebook.

And yes the commentary track for all the shows, are just as funny, as are the making ofs, plus it has one of the greatest Christmas specials ever.

It truly is in a league of its own.

I agree with you BUT do you want more or should it be left alone?

Oh aye, erm I don't know, I think it could come back, there's no reason why, but we've had Psychoville, Funland, Inside Number 9, Sherlock, Doctor Who and numerous other side projects from them. All quality shows, I think they could do another movie, but knowing them it wouldn't be a cheap cash in it'd be a new project.

I would just like anything from them as a foursome again.

Quote: zooo @ 5th July 2014, 1:01 PM BST

I would just like to be in a foursome again.

Yes yes I know but I thought we said PMing was more discreet. Okay, I'll let Carpark and Taxis know.

Rolling eyes
What a selection!

A recent pic of them all together, to drag the thread back on topic.

What was the occasion that this picture was taken at?

I don't think I've ever listened to the commentaries apart from the odd scene. Might have to try an entire episode tonight.