Overrated sitcoms? Page 10

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 20th June 2014, 6:12 PM BST

I beg to differ. Years ago I wrote a 'Chortle' article arguing that The Young Ones is a sitcom that breaks the rules of sitcom, just like Sgt Pepper is an album that etc etc. The above comments apply more to Filthy, Rich and Catflap in my opinion (I actually enjoyed that too, but far less).

Filthy Rich & Catflap has an element of disjointedness, but is a traditional sitcom in structure! I'd be interested to see how you think it breaks the rules of sitcom otherwise?

Quote: Aaron @ 20th June 2014, 3:22 PM BST

And that's what makes it so ropey to many others. It's like they never had a strong enough single idea, but instead threw every last inane thought at the show. It's not really a sitcom in the traditional sense: each episode generally has two almost entirely unconnected plots, with some random anarchy scattered alongside. Many episodes are far more like a thematic sketch show.

I agree with you totally Aaron. I like The Young Ones, but the strange cut away sketches with the flies on the wall or the corn flakes box family ruined the pacing and for me, just weren't even close to funny. If I ever watch it back now, I can only stand to watch it if I skip past those bits. It's this (and to a lesser extent the bands) that put this a very definite number three, behind Flithy, Rich and Catflap and Bottom.

I was born in 1981 so was too young to see it on its first showing. Perhaps it worked slightly better in 1984.

This is an absolutely fascinating topic and I could talk for hours but I won't. If you don't mind my linking to old thoughts I'll just go www.chortle.co.uk/correspondents/2008/07/14/7057/once_in_every_lifetime,_comes_a_love_like_this... and a review I wrote of FRC for this very site but, um, can't find any more. Shame. Basically I argued that FRC plays with sitcom structure in the breaking of the third wall etc.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 21st June 2014, 12:21 PM BST

... The strange cut away sketches with the flies on the wall or the corn flakes box family ruined the pacing and for me, just weren't even close to funny. If I ever watch it back now, I can only stand to watch it if I skip past those bits...

That's what I like about it! Byrne and Powell's 'Writing Sitcoms' sums it up for me with 'For two riotously unpredictable series, Elton and his fellow writers twisted, turned and tickled the traditional format until it was left gasping and dizzy.' Disliking The Young Ones BECAUSE it isn't a traditional sitcom is akin to disliking The Beatles' 'White Album' because it isn't your straight rock 'n' roll album. A lovely series in my opinion and much more fun than FRC (tired) and Bottom (formula).
PS I love the way every review of 'The White Album' points out why it became known as 'The White Album'. Genius.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 22nd June 2014, 8:48 AM BST

That's what I like about it! Byrne and Powell's 'Writing Sitcoms' sums it up for me with 'For two riotously unpredictable series, Elton and his fellow writers twisted, turned and tickled the traditional format until it was left gasping and dizzy.' Disliking The Young Ones BECAUSE it isn't a traditional sitcom is akin to disliking The Beatles' 'White Album' because it isn't your straight rock 'n' roll album. A lovely series in my opinion and much more fun than FRC (tired) and Bottom (formula).
PS I love the way every review of 'The White Album' points out why it became known as 'The White Album'. Genius.

I have no problem with breaking sitcom conventions. I would have welcome the cutaway sketches if they had been even a little bit funny. But they weren't (IMO of course). Vyvyan's sock and Roger Bannister amused me a little, but rest just seemed to kill the show dead for a minute or two.

I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree over this one! I'm still a huge fan of 'The Young Ones' and the off-the-wall bits are what gave it its particular flavour and appeal in my humble op. It's a darn fine piece of work and is there any point getting bogged down in labels like 'sitcom' and 'sketch show'? I'd rather just watch and laugh like the tart I am!

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 22nd June 2014, 4:19 PM BST

I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree over this one! I'm still a huge fan of 'The Young Ones' and the off-the-wall bits are what gave it its particular flavour and appeal in my humble op. It's a darn fine piece of work and is there any point getting bogged down in labels like 'sitcom' and 'sketch show'? I'd rather just watch and laugh like the tart I am!

Well said that man!

Overrated is the most overrated word in the English language.

I know that underrated is the most underrated word and average is somewhere in the middle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yLuF2xVQgI&index=2&list=PL06E92A67795D6010 5.10 - 5.12

When I've watched celebrities talking about certain shows such as Gavin & Stacey, and eulogising about how super it is, I always thought I must have a funny bone missing somewhere. I never got into it, I tried but failed.

I think there is a certain amount of comedy SNOBBERY that goes on, not just amongst those in the industry, but punters as well.

Monty Python is a perfect example. I'm not having a go at it as a whole, but some of it is just self-indulgent crap. I know it was ground-breaking in a way but the Yanks love it which I have never, ever understood.

Seinfeld was always a mystery to me.

Although I liked The Office I wouldn't revisit it.

Tried to like Extras but yet again failed.

It's cool to love anything James Corden is in at the moment. I like a couple of the adverts he does but everything else is a bit mainstream and safe.

The Young Ones was the new Rock n Roll at the time. It has its place in history and will probably stay there. (RIP RM)

Mrs Brown's Boys just makes me shudder. I think it's awful. For some reason TV people think you can say anything you want, and as long as you say it in a cheeky Southern Irish accent, we'll find it funny. Not in this house!

Quote: Wadley @ 30th June 2014, 9:07 AM BST

The Young Ones was the new Rock n Roll at the time. It has its place in history and will probably stay there. (RIP RM)

In the words of Prince Charles, nice one mate.

Monty Python is a perfect example. I'm not having a go at it as a whole, but some of it is just self-indulgent crap.

Python isn't a sitcom (more searing, cutting-edge comedy analysis from Monkers). I know it's hit 'n' miss and people remember the hits - it'd make a great anthology and probably already has made one - but as I've said before you gotta remember (1) when it came out and (2) the sheer amount of stuff they were churning out - with very little character repetition. Great stuff.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 30th June 2014, 10:44 AM BST

Python isn't a sitcom (more searing, cutting-edge comedy analysis from Monkers). I know it's hit 'n' miss and people remember the hits - it'd make a great anthology and probably already has made one - but as I've said before you gotta remember (1) when it came out and (2) the sheer amount of stuff they were churning out - with very little character repetition. Great stuff.

I know what you mean, but it seems if you want to be taken seriously and are in 'the business' you have to say the right things about the right shows. Python being one, Faulty Towers is another. The most recent appears to be Gavin & Stacey and anything James Corden is in (which is most things).

There is a need to conform and say the right things.

Banana Man is funnier than most comedies these days!! FACT

When I've watched celebrities talking about certain shows such as Gavin & Stacey, and eulogising about how super it is, I always thought I must have a funny bone missing somewhere. I never got into it, I tried but failed.

I think there is a certain amount of comedy SNOBBERY that goes on, not just amongst those in the industry, but punters as well.

Monty Python is a perfect example. I'm not having a go at it as a whole, but some of it is just self-indulgent crap. I know it was ground-breaking in a way but the Yanks love it which I have never, ever understood.

Seinfeld was always a mystery to me.

Although I liked The Office I wouldn't revisit it.

Tried to like Extras but yet again failed.

It's cool to love anything James Corden is in at the moment. I like a couple of the adverts he does but everything else is a bit mainstream and safe.

Mrs Brown's Boys just makes me shudder. I think it's awful. For some reason TV people think you can say anything you want, and as long as you say it in a cheeky Southern Irish accent, we'll find it funny. Not in this house!!

Although I've tried many times over the years Seinfeld remains a mystery to me as well. I know it's one the most popular shows ever but I just don't understand why - so to me it is in the overrated category.

The Office was sort of the same for me. I liked it but not enough to rewatch, but I can understand why some people find it really funny. At least the UK version. The first episodes I saw were from the US version and I really couldn't understand what everyone was raving about it....Not that I could tolerate it long enough to really see.

Quote: Wadley @ 30th June 2014, 11:13 AM BST

I know what you mean, but it seems if you want to be taken seriously and are in 'the business' you have to say the right things about the right shows. Python being one, Faulty Towers is another.

Fair point. Say you like the biggies and it's too obvious; say you don't like 'em and you look like you ain't got a clue.