Mrs. Brown's Boys D'Movie Page 3

It looks awful, to me, even worse than the series, which is already horrific. I would rather wade through sulphuric acid with a ball of wasp snot in my mouth and knives stuck in my skull than watch the film.

Well this - like the TV series - seems to attract extreme opinions.

There are loads of people who think it's crap but it's also extremely popular. It's a bit like a 1970s ITV comedy.

He's found a formula millions of people like.
He'd be a fool to change it one jot.

Well, I have got my tickets booked for Saturday night, I will share my thoughts shortly after. Looking forward to it, I love Mrs Brown's Boys and long may it continue!

Strange the critics were banned from watching it. It's not my cup of tea though.

I saw it today. I don't care what the critics say, I laughed throughout the film and if a comedy can achieve that then it's a success in my book.

I have just seen it, forget what the critics say as they must have something wrong with them. This was a bloody brilliant film. It was a bit slow to start with but once it got going there was some really hilarious parts. Fantastic film and worth going to see if like me you are a loyal Mrs Brown fan.

It's made double the amount of money that Alpha Papa did. A sad day for British Comedy.

Quote: Woozie @ 4th July 2014, 4:49 PM BST

It's made double the amount of money that Alpha Papa did. A sad day for British Comedy.

Well, it's going to because it is more popular. Plus, they have today released tickets for the Mrs Brown's Boys 2015 UK tour, "How Now Mrs Brown Cow" and according to what I read earlier, the Saturday evening show at Glasgow has apparently sold out in under 5 minutes. Whether that is true or not, I don't know.

It's a man in a dress telling rude jokes.

As much as it can make me laugh on occasion, there really isn't anything witty and intelligent about it.

As a writer myself, I can take nothing away from this show other than the cliches I need to avoid.

I'd rather have a piece of respected work than one that is really popular.

The League had men in dresses but at least they had wit, originality, and a comic verve that's not wrapped up in show peddling 40 year old end of pier comedy. I mean how many plots can they recycle?

It'll be a seven day wonder that will easily be forgotten in five years or less, it's not a Peep Show, it's not got the innovation of say Friday Night Dinner, it's just recycled ham acting.

Quote: Woozie @ 4th July 2014, 11:24 PM BST

As a writer myself, I can take nothing away from this show other than the cliches I need to avoid.

I'd rather have a piece of respected work than one that is really popular.

Unfortunately, once you get into the machinations of the industry, you'll find that your artistic integrity is put through the grinder to some degree.

Also, there's probably a lot you can take from this show as a writer e.g. understanding how to write for your audience successfully.

Quote: Mark Gibson @ 5th July 2014, 1:22 AM BST

a seven day wonder that will easily be forgotten in five years or less, it's not a Peep Show, it's not got the innovation of say Friday Night Dinner, it's just recycled ham acting.

But it's so much more popular than both those shows put together. What you're putting forward is a misplaced elitist comedy snobbery the vast majority of TV viewers do not share.

MBB is not just making more money, it is making far more fans than the two shows you mention, it's a roaring success. That doesn't mean that all its fans don't find fault with it or believe it's original. They simply find this 'recycled' or age old brand of blatant humour far funnier than the cool and clever cultish stuff little shows like the two you mentioned can manage to contrive.

Popular doesn't always mean better, though. It's not snobbery, it's just Mrs. Brown's Boys is like a throwback to a time that looks good in nostalgia but doesn't translate well into something meaty that you can care about like Only Fools. That could be cutting edge, could do away the humour to tackle Casandra's miscarriage. Mrs. Brown's Boys is frankly from mawkish in its sentimentality. And don't forget what was once incredibly popular loses its appeal after a while. Python never had huge ratings, but people would remember that over a lot of shows that regularly hit high ratings.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 5th July 2014, 11:05 AM BST

They simply find this 'recycled' or age old brand of blatant humour far funnier than the cool and clever cultish stuff little shows like the two you mentioned can manage to contrive.

This only works if they've seen every alternative and switched off because they think Mrs. Brown's Boys is funnier or they simple didn't get it, which is highly improbable. I look at MBB and I think that audience would probably be the latter though.