Rik Mayall has died Page 5

He made profanity into a comedic art form:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/rik-mayall-dead-a-fan-once-asked-for-his-autograph-here-is-his-excellent-written-response-9516428.html

What a guy!

Dreadful news, I was at work when it came through.

We have a guy who speaks pretty poor English (despite it being his native tongue) who was watching the news and declared to the office that Brit Issel was dead.

A quick Google search of who Miss Issel was revealed that Rik Mayall was the deceased in question.

A great laugh and always worth his weight in maniacal presence.

I'm rewatching some episodes of Bottom and The Young Ones. So sad to think that he is gone now. :(

I'm sorry that Rik Mayall has died, but he was never a comic genius!

If he wasn't a genius then there are a great many fools.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ 15th June 2014, 9:21 AM BST

He was extremely funny and a great actor.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ 15th June 2014, 9:21 AM BST

I think it's important you shat that out on this thread about the sad loss of a well loved performer.

I've been reading through this thread and may have missed this but if not here is next week's number one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMAFme1hBH0&feature=kp

I don't think he was ever taken as seriously as he should have been as a comic actor, he was good enough to be in films. As cartoony lunatics or pervs I can't think of anyone better. I think the advert makers realised his potential but not the movie makers. Should've been a bigger star without a doubt, but seemed to get less work than Planer and Edmondson, which is odd.

However, he will live longer in the memory because of his show stealing performances in everything he was in.

He had a run of one off dramas on ofc at some point they were pretty good

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 16th June 2014, 7:17 AM BST

Should've been a bigger star without a doubt, but seemed to get less work than Planer and Edmondson, which is odd.

The Quad bike accident put great restrictions on him, apparently.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 16th June 2014, 7:17 AM BST

I don't think he was ever taken as seriously as he should have been as a comic actor, he was good enough to be in films. As cartoony lunatics or pervs I can't think of anyone better. I think the advert makers realised his potential but not the movie makers. Should've been a bigger star without a doubt, but seemed to get less work than Planer and Edmondson, which is odd.

However, he will live longer in the memory because of his show stealing performances in everything he was in.

Maybe he was just selective and only wanted to and could probably afford to do what he wanted.

Rik Mayall was my hero and my idol. He was everything I wanted to be. He made me feel socially comfortable as odd as that sounds. For me, replicating his larger-that-life persona allowed me to open up, go from being shy and geeky to being the class-clown and school jester. Of course, I am a huge fan of his work and his rather underrated writing. He may have wrote toilet humour but it was the best toilet humour and bloody witty along with it.

He had the most flexible of faces, the most extravagant of movements and made some of the most stupid sounds you'd ever hear. He was a big kid but through that you embrace that inner-child and jump around shouting rude words. He brought a sense of freedom to the world, he brought pure joy to the world.

Bottom is my favourite Sitcom and will probably always will be, I consider it is greatest work because it was Rik being Rik essentially, he wrote a part that allowed him to be himself on stage and screen.

I could go on and on but when I found out he died, I was in shock as were we all I'm sure. I haven't stopped thinking about it and I have let it get the best at me a few times in the past week. I find comfort that his work will live on for future generations to see and enjoy. HE will live on through those performances. A true modern-day comedy legend has died but will never be forgotten.

Quote: Woozie @ 19th June 2014, 1:06 AM BST

Rik Mayall was my hero and my idol. He was everything I wanted to be. He made me feel socially comfortable as odd as that sounds. For me, replicating his larger-that-life persona allowed me to open up, go from being shy and geeky to being the class-clown and school jester. Of course, I am a huge fan of his work and his rather underrated writing. He may have wrote toilet humour but it was the best toilet humour and bloody witty along with it.

He had the most flexible of faces, the most extravagant of movements and made some of the most stupid sounds you'd ever hear. He was a big kid but through that you embrace that inner-child and jump around shouting rude words. He brought a sense of freedom to the world, he brought pure joy to the world.

Bottom is my favourite Sitcom and will probably always will be, I consider it is greatest work because it was Rik being Rik essentially, he wrote a part that allowed him to be himself on stage and screen.

I could go on and on but when I found out he died, I was in shock as were we all I'm sure. I haven't stopped thinking about it and I have let it get the best at me a few times in the past week. I find comfort that his work will live on for future generations to see and enjoy. HE will live on through those performances. A true modern-day comedy legend has died but will never be forgotten.

Amen. :)

I need to dust down The Young Ones boxset this weekend. Always my most favourite Rik role.