Doctor Who... Page 1,076

Quote: sootyj @ 4th June 2014, 10:10 PM BST

Hey Zooo go look at the flowers.

:P

I never said it lacked substance, just I dunno it's a bit miserable, in the same way so many crime shows say "hey look that person was killed in a really funky way."

I dunno I want humour, real characters and tension.

I think it has plenty of all those things, especially a shit-ton of tension, but fair enough if you don't.
Obviously it's nowhere near a comedy, but it has funny moments here and there.

Probably I've changed these days the 2 shows I like are old reruns of Minder and Magnum.

It's tragic that they never had a team up, where TM had to chase down drug dealing spys on Arfur's car lot.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 4th June 2014, 1:08 PM BST

If you want to avoid one of the best looking shows on television, then you go right ahead, stick to British crap where you can get the disappointment you crave. ;)

I was talking about the franchise more than the TV show. I try not to watch 'British crap'. The recent Jed Mercurio-scripted show Line of Duty was brutal, exciting and brilliant. Did you watch it?

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 5th June 2014, 12:55 AM BST

I was talking about the franchise more than the TV show. I try not to watch 'British crap'. The recent Jed Mercurio-scripted show Line of Duty was brutal, exciting and brilliant. Did you watch it?

Avidly

Jed mercurio rocks

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 4th June 2014, 1:54 PM BST

Seriously, what is the f**king point. Robert Napper, who killed Rachel Nickel (the murder Colin Stagg was persecuted for years for) also killed a young woman and her child. He cut open her body and arranged her organs and the crime scene in a similar way to these Hannibal scene. It was sufficiently unpleasant and distressing that the police photographer needed time off work.

The writers and producers of the Hannibal franchise haven't earned the right to display what they do. They recreate a dark and difficult-to-fathom act and present it to us like a f**king vol-au-vont.

Also to go back to the line of duty that covered a character witth a sociopathic personnality with no need to constantly have a murder of the week

Quote: sootyj @ 5th June 2014, 7:18 AM BST

Also to go back to the line of duty that covered a character witth a sociopathic personnality with no need to constantly have a murder of the week

You may be confusing it with Sale of the Century...

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 4th June 2014, 1:22 AM BST

Is Hannibal about Hannibal Lecter?

The problem I have with that franchise (apart from it being nasty and depressing) is the likelihood of a man Christened Hannibal growing up to become a cannibal../

There is a theory of Nominative determinism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominative_determinism

Hannibal is aces; end of bruv. Line of Duty was also very good.

Looks like Peter Davison's 50th special 'The Five-ish Doctor's is going to come out on DVD. "Quelle dommage, Davros!"

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/50th-anniversary-box-set-incoming-63630.htm

:Preview?src=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn-static.denofgeek.com%2Fsites%2Fdenofgeek%2Ffiles%2Ffiveish_doctors_5.jpg" alt="Image">
Quote: Godot Taxis @ 5th June 2014, 12:55 AM BST

I saw the trailer - it looked like a British cop show with a dysfunctional female lead and was shot in shaky cam, so I gave it a miss. I've heard from other people that it's good, so I'll get round to it when there is a break in all the excellent American dramas.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 5th June 2014, 1:02 AM BST

The writers and producers of the Hannibal franchise haven't earned the right to display what they do. They recreate a dark and difficult-to-fathom act and present it to us like a f**king vol-au-vont.

That's because it's a f**king TV show. Did you know loads of men were killed at Agincourt? They had their arms and legs chopped off and some of them had arrows in the eye. Who does Shakespeare think he is, serving this up as entertainment?

Seriously Godot, get a grip matey.

I suppose it's the message and the purpose.

For example in Dexter Trinity's great because he's a genuinely, hideous and still sympathetic character. His circular murders representing a psyche that can't break out of living in the past. Absolutely fascinating and disturbing.

The last couple were literally, what's the most horrible thing we can show and make people go "eeeww gross"

In the last season I saw 2 heads with brains falling out and thought, yawn I'm out of here.

Quote: sootyj @ 30th May 2014, 2:38 PM BST

http://rebeccaamoore.com/2014/05/29/university-study-on-sexism-in-bbcs-doctor-who-infographic/

This is pretty interesting

Someone has taken this to task:

http://frecklestherobot.tumblr.com/post/87679385373/rebecca-moores-doctor-who-study-is-dishonest

Good grief that blog was so geeky it hurt.

I don't really care if Dr Who is sexist (well a little) I was much more interested that it seemed to be finding a reason why it got so damn dull.
And obsessing on one character as opposed to the more entertaining ensemble approach seemed to make sense.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 5th June 2014, 5:26 PM BST

That's because it's a f**king TV show. Did you know loads of men were killed at Agincourt? They had their arms and legs chopped off and some of them had arrows in the eye. Who does Shakespeare think he is, serving this up as entertainment?

Seriously Godot, get a grip matey.

You'd make a terrible barrister, Carpark. There is no killing and dismemberment in Henry V. On the other hand the Hannibal novels and film franchise is rich in morbidity and gore. There is some quality in it - Red Dragon mainly, but Anthony Hopkins sautéing thin slices of Ray Liotta's brain while he sits at the dinner table is a postcard from the end of civilisation.

It's offensive on so many counts. The thinly disguised admiration by the writer and film-makers for a man like Lecter who is a criminal and a murderer but nevertheless follows his own path, the cheap thrill and complicity with his killing and most offensive of all the overlaying of an obsession with food, so that he eats people because he has a refined sensibility and palette.

If you can't see that this isn't entertainment but some form of dysfunctional middle-class fascist hero-worship then you've got less brains than Liotta had when the coffees came round.

I'd agree 90% but certainly in lambs and Dragon it's very much a fight between the moral force ego of law detective and. The monsterous I'd of the killer.

With lecter as a sort of super ego.