Doctor Who... Page 1,069

Quote: Badge @ 30th May 2014, 3:45 PM BST

And only one woman director I think? And she did a brilliant job.

I think there's a woman directing a couple of episodes this series, Rachel Talalay, who has directed a Freddy film and Tank Girl!

Quote: zooo @ 30th May 2014, 3:49 PM BST

Very poor. They've had several writing the new books haven't they?

Yep, some lady types have been writing Who books.

I don't care who writes it just someone better more often.

Regarding sexism generally, I'm always amused that the female journalist complaining is usually young and relatively inexperienced and fails to notice that her own more-or-less instant success is totally at variance with the arid climate of female advancement she describes.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 30th May 2014, 3:56 PM BST

and Tank Girl!

Omg. Lovey

All I can think of now is a fast show skit "John Actor in Dr Who : Day of the Monkfish."

\I think it's interesting because it shows Bechtel test pasting dramas are usually far more interesting. For example Riversong in the first 2 stories she appears in is a great, alternative vision of a more agressive, confident, violent Timelord. In the later stories she becomes Violet Olivia Botts with a deathray.

And Renegade the article specifically points out how Old Who by and large passes the Bechtel test.
You I believe said you prefer that era.
You is a feminist and a girl.

Quote: sootyj @ 30th May 2014, 5:02 PM BST

\I think it's interesting because it shows Bechtel test pasting dramas are usually far more interesting.

Nah, depends; both in this show and others.

For example, I bet three of my favourite recent shows, Breaking Bad, True Detective and Hannibal, would fail the test a lot.

Breaking bad wouldn't sopranos wouldn't the the other two fail the sootyj arse awareness test

Quote: sootyj @ 30th May 2014, 5:02 PM BST

\I think it's interesting because it shows Bechtel test pasting dramas are usually far more interesting.

The point isn't whether dramas pass, fail or are held back a year in order to do re-takes - The Bechdel Test is a pointless arbitration that has no bearing whatsoever on the artistic merit of a dramatic production.

It's basically made up, busy bodying, subjective feminist nonsense which for some reason, complete morons take seriously.

As for Doctor Who or any other show that features a male hero character surrounded by minor characters - male or female - his story is going to be the thrust of the show and his actions dictate the narrative. And the inverse is also true - Buffy The Vampire Slayer was full of dudes who would only talk about Buffy when they met up.

In the case of Who - when his female companions meet other women and their only connection is Doctor Who, what the hell are they supposed to talk about? Arsenal's spectacular come back in the FA Cup Final?

The only bit of Doctor Who that isn't sexist is having a central male hero who uses his brain instead of violence to solve problems. But that's about it, he ticks all the other sexist boxes we associate with male heroes.

To be fair I did win money on that Arsenal game!

RCP did you ever watch Buffy?

Part the reason Whedon is awesome is he uses excellent ensemble casts. If Buffy was a bloke I'd be pushed to name one episode which failed the Bechtel test.

As for Dr Who watch Silence in the Library again, an example of how a strong cast of characters can hold up multiple story lines to build up tension and story.

I won the fart contest

Quote: Marc P @ 30th May 2014, 6:16 PM BST

To be fair I did win money on that Anal game!

Did you rig it you devious old silver fox?

Quote: sootyj @ 30th May 2014, 5:39 PM BST

Breaking bad wouldn't sopranos wouldn't the the other two fail the sootyj arse awareness test

Wouldn't pass?

I probably meant would, but I'm starring in a narrative about a female secret agent, robot and wanted a discussion that would pass a reverse Bechtel test.

Moffat is simply an awful writer!

He's also a terrible show runner/producer. Which is why I kinda rate the earlier new Who's more especially with Ecclestone when it seemed to be a little bit below the radar.