That stumbling block scene. Page 2

So basically, it is like online dating. No point getting all attached to one man, because when it comes to it he may disappoint you.

Better to date lots of men and only commit to the one who proves himself to be worth it.

Get your fingers in pies!

But I fancy men...

:O

Quote: Marc P @ 31st May 2014, 2:30 PM BST

So Lazzard and Matthew as a couple of old pros, and I mean that in the rudest sense possible, would you apply that process to all six episodes of a series before sending one in?

No.
I'm into comedy/drama & screenplays so, for me, plot and structure are paramount.
I have to know the 'story' of my six episodes - usually writing a pretty detailed synopsis of each episode - 3/4 page, on each, typically.
These are worth spending time on - they're only for you so you might use bullet points, index cards - I tend to write it like a story. If things are going to change/develop - this is where it'll happen.
It's where all the heavy lifting is done.
Now you're ready for your first episode.
Take your synopsis and break it down into sequences and scenes.
Again - spend A LOT of time on this - and again, niceties of style don't matter - this is for you and you alone.
When you're happy with the breakdown you can start writing the episode.
First draft is for you - quick and ugly is the watchword - finessing as you proceed through the next couple of drafts.*
When you've done, package it with a précis of the episode synopsis you wrote ( keep the long - you want to keep something back) along with anything else you think relevant - character biogs etc.

* between these two stages, seek informed opinion - pay for it if necessary - and act on it.
They're usually right!

I wouldn't dream of writing all six episodes until someone turns up with a bag of money.

I can see the logic to writing a full season/batch of episodes in one go; It's been nearly a year since I wrote my pilot and if I were asked now to write the next episode I'd struggle to get into the same mindset that produced the first one and I'd be trying to recapture something. You'd get to know your characters better, have a greater understanding of where things are going and what to foreshadow... it's just a lot of writing to have dismissed in one go by someone who doesn't recognise it's worth.

That said, getting past the stumbling block scene... embrace the stumbling block. Have your characters do pratfalls and your extras do reaction shots.

Quote: JaPi @ 31st May 2014, 3:37 PM BST

I can see the logic to writing a full season/batch of episodes in one go; It's been nearly a year since I wrote my pilot and if I were asked now to write the next episode I'd struggle to get into the same mindset that produced the first one and I'd be trying to recapture something.

You'd get back into the swing of the show during all the rewrites you have to do on the pilot if it was picked up anywhere.

Look, if you have the time, write as many episodes as you want, but it's not a great long term plan if you want to be a writer. For one thing, if you have only one script, the chances of getting anywhere are tiny, if you have four or five scripts circulating, well, your chances are still tiny. But a little bit less tiny. You're on tiptoes now.

And as has already been stated, if the pilot does get picked up, you have no idea how much of this extra work will be of any use. You may have wasted a year 'perfecting' six episodes, when you'd have been better served working on a new project or two.

From my limited experience of sitcoms, write one episode. If someone's interested and wants to know what might happen in other episodes, come up with a few one line scenarios, the wilder the better. No-one's going to hold you to it, anyway.

Unfortunately it's television not a novel. You don't get a year to f**k about. They want to know you can deliver and deliver consistently and on time. Should it get to that level.

Quote: Marc P @ 31st May 2014, 3:48 PM BST

Unfortunately it's television not a novel. You don't get a year to f**k about. They want to know you can deliver and deliver consistently and on time. Should it get to that level.

Keep up Marc, this one's a radio/podcast project.

Lol. Sorry should have said broadcast. If it's a home made stick it up as a podcast project... Well like I said if you are having fun fill your boots as they used to say in the Napoleonic wars. I have done plenty such things myself, kind of.