Free script advice

Hello all,

Yet another one of these threads... I'm a represented writer who has developed original (radio and TV) sitcom ideas with Hat Trick, Objective, Radio 4, and Tiger Aspect from conception to pitch to broadcasters. They have mostly been for grown-ups, with one children's sitcom in there too. I'm also a seasoned amateur in short films, having won funding and awards for one which featured two people who are on telly (which I like to think lends this whole pitch at least a veneer of legitimacy...)

I won't quite call it 'script editing', but I will give you a side of A4 (with no font size tricks) of advice on your TV/radio sitcom or short film script. I'll let you know whether I think there is an appetite for your idea, where your writing could stand to be improved, and other tidbits of advice as well (e.g. the art of writing a treatment, how to go about getting an agent, and how many free coffees it is rude to consume in meetings).

At this point, I'm only planning on establishing whether I'm any good at this sort of thing, so that's why I'm not asking for any money. However, if you think my advice has helped in any way, a little testimonial would be nice (preferably against Celtic).

Private message if interested, thank you for reading!

Blimey, what a response. I'll reply to everyone who has been in touch already but I don't think I'll have time to take on more! Thanks to those who have been in touch and sorry to anyone who was interested but saw this too late.

Well, it was bit like I've found a fifty pound note, would the owner please form a queue at my door.

Oi Thats my Fifty pounds, can I have it back please Wave

Cheers MCharsley for the nearly two pages of feedback on my sitcom pilot! Genuinely helpful.

By the way, the number of coffees one should drink at a meeting are two, or three if it lasts more than an hour. Don't under any circumstance say: "This tastes like piss."- even if it does. This advice is free.

Thanks for this JaPi, hope you found it useful.

Beaky, how many mugs of piss is too many in a business meeting? Asking for a friend.

MCharsley, firstly tell your "friend" to find out where the loo is. When you need a piss, pretend you're dying for a fag, as it's more macho. There's an anti-breath freshener in a variety of cigarette brands that could come in useful if you don't smoke. Remember that the coffee can always be poured into a handy pot-plant, as seen in many sitcoms.

Quote: beaky @ 27th January 2014, 6:55 PM GMT

Well, it was bit like I've found a fifty pound note, would the owner please form a queue at my door.

:) :) :D

Oh by the way, this isn't free anymore. Still cheap, though. £20 per half hour script. But don't take my word for it...

"...nearly two pages..." - forum user JaPi

You'd better change the title of the thread then.

Quote: MCharsley @ 4th June 2014, 10:46 AM BST

Oh by the way, this isn't free anymore. Still cheap, though. £20 per half hour script. But don't take my word for it...

"...nearly two pages..." - forum user JaPi

Assuming it takes you an hour to read a 30 page script, an hour to analyse and an hour to type up.

Do you not think your cheapening yourself?

Quote: Chappers @ 4th June 2014, 5:45 PM BST

You'd better change the title of the thread then.

Hmm. Can I do that?

Quote: sootyj @ 4th June 2014, 5:48 PM BST

Assuming it takes you an hour to read a 30 page script, an hour to analyse and an hour to type up.

Do you not think your cheapening yourself?

Nah, I'm a writer, I'm used to being badly paid.

Tell all your friends. Exploit me!