British Comics

No - I don't mean people, I mean the childrens' magazines.

No doubt the Beano and Dandy and the similar Beezer will be mentioned here. But I was more interested in The Eagle, Victor and Tiger.

I also remember Rover and Wizard which instead of picture strips had text stories.

I do wish I'd never had to dump mine when we moved in 1975 because I'd love to look at them every now and then.

In the Eagle there was Dan Dare of course and Heros the Spartan. The artwork was superb and I seem to remember the stories being very exciting and as serials you couldn't wait until the next issue anxiously waiting for it to drop on your doormat.

My dad read The Eagle as a boy so when they resurrected it in the 80's I started getting it

It was pretty good

I liked the Mekon

Apart from the Beano and the Dandy, there was Topper, Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Nutter, Shiver and Shake (supposedly two rival comics?).

I used to like Buster and there's nothing like the smell of a good old comic. I imagine they smell completely different now. Damn EU directives.

Not only did the Mekon zoom around on a sort of rocket boat, he talked with his mouth shut.

Quote: Ben @ 22nd May 2014, 7:35 PM BST

I used to like Buster and there's nothing like the smell of a good old comic. I imagine they smell completely different now. Damn EU directives.

My brother used to collect them, along with Whizzer & Chips. I do believe they're still in my dad's loft.

Cliff Hanger was my favourite and then maybe J.R, if I remember correctly.

Both frightening and hilarious at the same time. In one issue, he took over the body of a small dog with the immortal line: 'I have need of your brain Earth creature'.

One set of comics I do still own from issue 1 is Starlord which came out in the 1970s. Unfortunately I don't still have the free gifts.

http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/links.php

Links to all sorts of British comics.

I see that Starlord had only 22 issues. I'd better check I've still got them all.

I was just reading the bit on the Beano site where they go through the early years of the Beano, and in 1940 the Beano had to spread lots of propaganda to help the war effort.

http://www.beano.com/media/1315901/beano1940a.pdf

Look at the bottom of page 4. That's Lord Snooty, torturing a tied up Hitler who is swinging from ropes above a row of spikes, having his feet burnt.

The female equivalent of the 'Eagle' was the 'Girl' which I thought was wonderful but can't remember what was in it.

Nick Newman's spoof Dan Dire in Private Eye was brilliant.

Quote: keewik @ 23rd May 2014, 10:54 PM BST

The female equivalent of the 'Eagle' was the 'Girl' which I thought was wonderful but can't remember what was in it.

Girl??? Very imaginative

Did it feature the space adventures of Doris Dare?

And the Shekon?

It was probably jolly hockey sticks stories about girls in boarding schools. Sick

Now I know that the Beano and Dandy were produced by DC Thompson in Dundee. Watching Pointless it occurred to me just before Alexander Armstrong said it.

Dandy produced in Dundee. Is that where they got the comic name from?