Co-writer wanted for a sitcom

In 2012 I tried to develop a sitcom through my production company. After spending 6 months developing the idea it was shelved as we focused on other projects.

I recently read through the script and found it to be very under-developed, however I thought that the concept still had lots of potential. I'm now on the lookout for someone to help me develop the script as a co-writer, in order to produce a pilot.

Through my production company I've got great access to talent, resources and crew. I've also got a good relationship with a few commissioners who we could pitch the show to as well.

At this stage the only thing I'm looking for in a co-writer is someone who has written on a commissioned show in the past.

If this might be of interest to you then please send me an email Kevin@seriously-funny.com with a brief description of your experience and I'll happily send you an outline of the concept for you to consider. I look forward to hearing from you.

Ideas are ten a penny SF sadly yours is by no means good enough to attract working talent. Stick at what you are good at is my advice. Just to clarify here though to those who may be interested. What sort of contractual deal are you offering?

Attracting working talent is the easy part, getting a commissioner to say yes is the tricky bit :). The contractual deal (in a very brief nutshell) would be a complete 50/50 split on the writing side of things.

So you have an idea you were unable to write yourself. you thought you could because how hard can it be right?? But in the end you were 'too' busy with important stuff. So get a hack in, after all getting 'talent' is the easy part, what's important is you know a mate who knows someone who works in proper TV - which you don't but hey how hard can it be right?

It's a system that works. I got a plumber in the other day and only paid half his bill because I picked out the shower I wanted and the screen and the bath to match. That's the main thing. Inspiration from me implementation from the hacks I hire. God I love this business!

Interesting attempt to try and spin my request into something else Marc.

I'm not looking for a hack and I'm not looking to offload the concept while trying to get someone else to do the work. I'm looking for a writing partner to co-write with, plain and simple.

What does your production company make? You span your offer I was just questioning what was behind it. Writing isn't plain and simple by the way as I guess you are realising?

I zipped straight over to the web site.
I was discouraged by the out of date page: http://www.seriously-funny.com/productions/

You may want to change the content as it looks as though you failed to pitch those ideas in 2013.

[I edited this as I found more mentions of your plans for 2013]

If you have anything in development then you should shout about it. You don't need to be specific but if you want to attract writers they will want to feel like you're going places.

[again another edit here]

The 'production' part of the web site is really weak. I think you'd do far better if you can add more weight to your claims of contacts with commissioners and had some projects which you can show you'd got off the ground.

Mike.

I don't think Marc wants to be your writing partner.

Quote: JustKie @ 22nd May 2014, 2:53 PM BST

I don't think Marc wants to be your writing partner.

Pay me enough I am very flexible ;)

Up to now we've mainly done promos, we've done a few bits for film studios and PRs, promoting films, shows, comedians, musicians that kind of thing. We've got a couple of smaller proposals based around interview shows which are currently being put forward.

The biggest problem that I encountered writing on my own is not having someone to bounce ideas off. Also the whole process of completing a draft, thinking it's the best it possibly can be and then coming back to it a few weeks later realising that there's a ton of things that were missed or that can be improved on. I think working alongside someone would help solve a lot of these problems.

Quote: Seriously Funny @ 22nd May 2014, 3:05 PM BST

The biggest problem that I encountered writing on my own is not having someone to bounce ideas off. Also the whole process of completing a draft, thinking it's the best it possibly can be and then coming back to it a few weeks later realising that there's a ton of things that were missed or that can be improved on. I think working alongside someone would help solve a lot of these problems.

A script consultant could help you with some of this (a good one).
As far as a partner goes, you need to get to know them a bit first.

I wish you luck but I'm not sure how well you'll do with someone you don't know at all.
You may actually be better hiring someone to write a script based on your idea. Marc?

Fair enough SF. Best of luck with it, sounds like writing isn't your thing but who knows.

I note you take submissions at your ProdCo.
Amongst all that work have you not come across a writer who you think you could work with?
That would seem a far better way forward.

I think the trouble is you are falling half-way between two stools - the amateur & the professional.
Too 'pro' for the "let's have a laugh and see if we can write a Sit-Com together" crowd - of which there are many on here.
But not pro enough for a commissioned writer (and there are some of those too) - who will, like as not, want to work alone.
And for a fee!

A a production company you should really be putting out some seed money if you want a professional writer on board.

There have been people in the past, but I wanted to come at this from a fresh angle as accepting a submission from someone is a very different conversation to approaching someone for a co-writing partnership.

Maybe some seed money for a writer is the best way forward, thanks for the advice.

There is an old adage about spending peanuts. But seriously people have been known to take a points style deal up front. So might behove to factor such things into the mix.