I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,579

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 20th May 2014, 11:17 PM BST

My solution has always been the same, the total implementation of a libertarian meritocracy.

The problem with a meritocracy is it is essentially tyranny. Modern society has no practical need for most of the things that make life pleasant. It values qualities that are widespread and anti-social such as acquisitiveness and self-importance.

Society has to be a box in which everything goes like socks in a drawer. Once you start to build society around people then it becomes undemocratic and exclusive and proscriptive.

Worth a peruse . .

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/20/ukip-manifesto-europe-immigration

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 20th May 2014, 11:56 PM BST

The problem with a meritocracy is it is essentially tyranny. Modern society has no practical need for most of the things that make life pleasant. It values qualities that are widespread and anti-social such as acquisitiveness and self-importance.

Society has to be a box in which everything goes like socks in a drawer. Once you start to build society around people then it becomes undemocratic and exclusive and proscriptive.

I disagree, just about every aspect of our lives is controlled by a meritocracy of one form or another, from credit ratings to job promotions to car insurance. We like it because it is usually fair and just.

To a lesser extent, we have similar incentives for 'key workers', we as a society have said that these people are essential and good at their jobs, so deserve to be valued and given benefits. To those who activity go against the interests of society, we have labelled them 'criminals' and their status and conditions have been affected drastically when they are arrested and sentenced.

Choosing the best person for the job based solely on pragmatic and practical capabilities, skills and experience should be the way Britain operates.

It's free from tyranny due to the libertarian philosophy. If you think you can make a better widget then Apple, then off you go, nothing will stop you except your own incompetence. If however, you think you should be the head of British Gas because you went to the right school with other poshos, then too bad.

Imagine a society where everyone is good at their jobs and those who aspire to destroy it are duly punished? It may not be the society for everyone, but it would certainly be a lot better then what we have now.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 21st May 2014, 12:08 AM BST

Worth a peruse . .

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/20/ukip-manifesto-europe-immigration

When Farage was asked by the BBC presenter Andrew Neil about the party's myriad plans for tax cuts, he said: "I'm not talking about any of those things." Neil persisted by suggesting the party would cut fuel duty, and Farage replied: "No, I'm not talking about any of those things. I'm fighting a European election. That is the election we're fighting, that election's all about the European Union."

Pressed again, He later said: "Well, I'm sorry but that is not for now. You know, that is not for now. We have not agreed a manifesto for the general election. We will do over the course of the summer."

So, basically, the new domestic manifesto is coming soon. He won't publish it now because it will be a distraction from the European Elections. Sounds fair enough.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 21st May 2014, 12:16 AM BST

I disagree, just about every aspect of our lives is controlled by a meritocracy of one form or another, from credit ratings to job promotions to car insurance. We like it because it is usually fair and just.

To a lesser extent, we have similar incentives for 'key workers', we as a society have said that these people are essential and good at their jobs, so deserve to be valued and given benefits. To those who activity go against the interests of society, we have labelled them 'criminals' and their status and conditions have been affected drastically when they are arrested and sentenced.

Choosing the best person for the job based solely on pragmatic and practical capabilities, skills and experience should be the way Britain operates.

It's free from tyranny due to the libertarian philosophy. If you think you can make a better widget then Apple, then off you go, nothing will stop you except your own incompetence. If however, you think you should be the head of British Gas because you went to the right school with other poshos, then too bad.

Imagine a society where everyone is good at their jobs and those who aspire to destroy it are duly punished? It may not be the society for everyone, but it would certainly be a lot better then what we have now.

A free society would be one where you don't have to make an Apple widget. If you tell me that you need a hundred people who are very good at economics and you give jobs to the hundred best people in the country at economics that isn't a meritocracy because you are discriminating against people who aren't good at economics by your definition.

The main problem with our society is we value a small range of attributes in people, many of which are so universal as to be worthless.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 21st May 2014, 12:16 AM BST

So, basically, the new domestic manifesto is coming soon. He won't publish it now because it will be a distraction from the European Elections. Sounds fair enough.

He's fielding 2000 candidates in local elections for f**ks sake !!

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 21st May 2014, 12:22 AM BST

A free society would be one where you don't have to make an Apple widget. If you tell me that you need a hundred people who are very good at economics and you give jobs to the hundred best people in the country at economics that isn't a meritocracy because you are discriminating against people who aren't good at economics by your definition.

Yes, I am discriminating against those who aren't good at economics. Those 100 who are good at economics will make the society financially stronger and then the next 100 economists would be able to get jobs. If there are only 100 economist jobs, why give them to those who aren't good at economics? Pretty soon, they'd only be 75, than 50, than 25 economist jobs. It's a law of diminishing returns.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 21st May 2014, 12:26 AM BST

He's fielding 2000 candidates in local elections for f**ks sake !!

What do you think the 2000 candidates would do if they suddenly became local councillors? Set fire to things and crash an ambulance into a primary school?

Or would they just be like any other local councillor? Considering many of them have defected from other parties, I'm pretty sure they'll just try to improve local council issues. I'm fairly confident none of them will be able to unilaterally start deporting people.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 21st May 2014, 12:33 AM BST

Yes, I am discriminating against those who aren't good at economics. Those 100 who are good at economics will make the society financially stronger and then the next 100 economists would be able to get jobs. If there are only 100 economist jobs, why give them to those who aren't good at economics? Pretty soon, they'd only be 75, than 50, than 25 economist jobs. It's a law of diminishing returns.

What do you think the 2000 candidates would do if they suddenly became local councillors? Set fire to things and crash an ambulance into a primary school?

Or would they just be like any other local councillor? Considering many of them have defected from other parties, I'm pretty sure they'll just try to improve local council issues. I'm fairly confident none of them will be able to unilaterally start deporting people.

You ARE Nigel Ferage and I claim my £5.

(rolled up copy of The Sun under arm)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 21st May 2014, 12:33 AM BST

What do you think the 2000 candidates would do if they suddenly became local councillors? Crash an ambulance into a primary school?

Not all of them, but one could be distracted by the flying pigs...

The problem with anything other than democracy is it always expects a benevolent, selfless other to put the structure in place.
Which of course is a dictatorship.

Democracy works, but only when it's supported.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/may/20/missing-yachtsmen-petition-calls-us-restart-search-cheeki-rafiki

I hope to God they find them.
I wouldn't want to be the mother of someone who couldn't be rescued because the US Coast Guard were diverted onto what they, in their expert opinion, think is a futile effort - all because of a Face Book petition.
What next - phone-in votes to see which burning house we should send the fire engine to?
Democracy has it's limits.

Anyone else feel a bit...

The US Coastguard is essentially part of their armed forces and has massive resources.

They can a day off from pursuing illegal immigrants and drug dealers.

Quote: dannyjb1 @ 21st May 2014, 10:00 AM BST

Anyone else feel a bit...

In what context.

All UKIP wanted to do was have a nice Twit . . and then it all went a bit wrong.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23WhyImVotingUkip&src=hash

Laughing out loud

I voted drunk. Not sure if that is allowed.

It may have been the alcohol, but I always get a lump in my throat when I put my cross in the box. As a woman from a working class background, many people fought and died so I could vote.

I feel their ghosts when I do the simple act of putting a cross to the paper.

On another note, there was a BNP candidate. In Lewisham. Beautiful, diverse Lewisham.

I am interested in whether UKIP can galvanise their support - because from what I've seen on FB and twitter all day, it is leftie heaven out there.