Lenny Henry's Comments on Diversity in TV Comedy Page 2

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 23rd March 2014, 11:53 AM GMT

Am I the only one to think the complaining is a bit rich? You want a fairer reflection of your presence on British TV then have a lot less kids than you do. Soon enough you'll get the TV balance looking about right.

Always figured your xenophobia was indictive of you being a general racist.

Why don't you challenge the facts in my statement instead of reaching for that handy word that brands anyone who even dares state solid stats you don't like as the worst kind of evil? Is it because you can't'?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 27th March 2014, 12:03 PM GMT

Why don't you challenge the facts in my statement instead of reaching for that handy word that brands anyone who even dares state solid stats you don't like as the worst kind of evil? Is it because you can't'?

This.

Also, Denzil, Jevon and Chris from Only Fools and Horses.
Kurt from Teachers
Cat from Red Dwarf
Lister from Red Dwarf
Anita from Dinnerladies
McClaren from Porridge

:D

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 27th March 2014, 12:03 PM GMT

I think he is calling you a racist because that is how he sees you in the sense of his understanding of the word. You are saying you are not a racist in the sense of how you understand the word. Some people are proud to be racist. It's not always a bad thing - but at least be honest in these matters. Obfuscation is the enemy of self dignity and yet the friend of the poet.

Quote: MTpromises @ 20th March 2014, 7:26 PM GMT

Historical dramas aren't history. Having people of colour playing historically white people would be no more false than inventing dialogue or changing events to be "dramatically compelling".

This is ridiculous.

Quote: MTpromises @ 22nd March 2014, 7:10 PM GMT

One would have to have knowledge of history to know something has been changed... so we're safe there.

Using the Braveheart example:

Isabella impregnated by William Wallace: Bullshit. Isabella was a child when Wallace died, so whoever Edward III's father was, it wasn't him. However, most people don't know this (or didn't care to spend 20 seconds researching on Google). The movie would therefore not be negatively-affected for most viewers.

Having 13th-Century Scotland full of black and Asian people: Also bullshit, but even the masses know that this is bullshit. Additionaly, blatant visual inaccuracies tend to damage the atmosphere of a historical piece to a much greater extent than spoken chronological/factual inaccuracies; even to people who spot the latter errors. The movie would therefore be ruined for the majority.

There's 3 kinds of films fact, fiction and faction.

Most historical are faction, there were only Americans at DDay, Most Germans didn't know what was happening in Nazi Germany, Winston Churchill was popular, William Wallace was a skirt wearing peasant.

All bollocks and actually far, far more dangerous for it. It's the most insidious form of propaganda.

Either tell the whole, unedifying smelly truth or being honest it's propaganda.

I'd like to see Will Smith play Hitler and Christina Ricci play Churchill.

It's as accurate as they're usually portrayed.

Quote: sootyj @ 20th May 2014, 10:30 AM BST

I'd like to see Will Smith play Hitler

http://www.newser.com/tag/19513/1/jewish-defence-league.html