Worst comedy Page 21

I'm a third year student doing a dissertation on American and British Comedy.

I have a simple 4 question survey about The Inbetweeners and why the US remake was such a fail.

If anyone has a spare 5 minutes to fill this out then that would be great, thank you!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/V3RM8F7

Quote: Jackson Neil @ 17th January 2014, 10:27 AM GMT

Mrs. Brown's Boys
Two Pints Of Lager
Friends

Mrs Brown's Boys is funny, but it can be too crude, at times.
Agree with the other two!

Friends wasn't just one of the least funny comedy shows, it was one of the very worst TV shows of all time.

I can safely say that in the 20-odd years its been on air here in the UK, I'm yet to crack a smile at anything ever said on air.

Watching 40-year-old "actors" chew more scenery than Jack Nicholson as The Joker isn't funny. It's embarrassing.

Mass market rubbish.

Over To Bill. When the present was put on the car roof I was praying "don't forget about the present and drive off" but for all the wrong reasons. Can anyone offer positivity on this comedy??

I am a BIG Men Behaving Badly fan and hope the series improves.

Quote: WWJD @ 2nd May 2014, 10:02 PM BST

I am a BIG Men Behaving Badly fan and hope the series improves.

It's not written by the MBB guy.

Anything that the twin pillars of mediocrity, namely Walliams and Lucas, have touched. Anything with Noel Fielding or Phill Jupitus in it and Only Fools and Horses. Banality thy name is Del Boy.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 2nd May 2014, 10:47 PM BST

It's not written by the MBB guy.

Who said it was? It's by Red Dwarf writer Doug Naylor.

My ref to MBB was about it being a shame to see comedy stalwart Neil Morrissey involved in such poor output.

I'm quite sure this comedy would not pass the writersroom ten page test but then again, with such big names attached, it doesn't have to!

Towards the end, Last of the Summer Wine was awful. Also Life of Riley, Only When I Laugh, Goodnight Sweetheart

Quote: Rupert Nitrogen @ 5th May 2014, 4:18 PM BST

Towards the end, Last of the Summer Wine was awful. Also Life of Riley, Only When I Laugh, Goodnight Sweetheart

You mean you don't find people rolling down hills in bathtubs hilarious?! :P

Yeah Mrs. Brown's Boys is rubbish.

Miranda. It's twee, middle class rubbish, and her voice is grating. Mrs. Brown's Boys is a crime against humanity. Butterflies was awful too, Bread was funny in the beginning but went stale.

Teenage Kicks (Sorry Ade)
My Hero
Man Down (apart from Rik)
Inbetweeners last series

I think a lot of modern sitcoms are equally loved or hated for the wrong reasons.

They are loved for the wrong reasons because there is nothing better on and much fewer sitcoms on than in the past despite having more channels than ever, go figure.

They are hated for the wrong reasons because they are unfairly compared to the classics. Sitcoms which have had the chance to stand the test of time and persevere.

So while I think Mrs. Brown's Boys and Miranda are over-rated to a certain degree, I don't think they are bad or the worst comedy. They do genuinely make me laugh on occasion.

As for what is the worst comedy show I have ever seen. It's tough. I usually don't watch it at all if the synopsis doesn't sound appealing. I suppose a comedy I watched and then decided I wasn't going to tune in next week.

- The Walshes.
- Stella.
- The Inbetweeners.
- The Mimic.
- Gavin And Stacey.
- Barbara.
- Two And A Half Men.
- Family Guy.
- South Park.