Dick Backard - Private Eye

Hi all.

Years ago I posted a radio show demo recording spoofing the 1940s LA detective genre, which a few of you seemed to like.

Since then, with a small team, I have put the show on on a handful of small stages in London as a 'live recording'. But now I want to try it as a short story.

I want to know simply, is it funny? The actors in the stage show brought a lot to the original script and having worked with the thing for so long I just can't tell if it translates.

Don't feel like you have to read it all. It can be found here http://www.dickbackard.tumblr.com/thebook

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Nice to see you back!

Cheers Lee. Hopefully be sticking around for a bit again!

Did you get chance to give the adaptation a read at all? Would really appreciate some honest feedback. You know when you've heard something so much it just doesn't seem that funny anymore?

There's no doubt it's well written and some people will like it and even laugh. Anything's possible, I mean Lenny Henry had his own TV show for F's sake! It's not my cup of tea simply because it feels pretty hackneyed and laboured. Just because I don't think it's funny doesn't mean others won't love it. We've all seen 'My Family'. Don't ask others if they think it's funny 'cus you will get people like me saying it's not. Do you think it's funny? If you do then there are others out there that will too, so stick with it. Believe in it and sell it. If it makes you laugh then it will make others laugh too. You are the same as at least a few million others on the planet so if you can earn a few pence or cents from each of them then you are onto a winner. Self belief is what you need! Write what you love and love what you write, everyone else can suck your fat one!!!! PS, do you have a fat one? I'm just asking 'cus my mate thinks you're fit, that's all.