Tommy Cooper: Not Like That, Like This

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/tommy_cooper_not_like_that/

This looks super! Really looking forward to it. Tommy Cooper was a gem.

Just saw the footage of his death on stage on YouTube...horrible.

I don't know why they have put it on YouTube just shocking should get took down

Quote: ComedyGeek @ 21st April 2014, 9:11 AM BST

I don't know why they have put it on YouTube just shocking should get took down

It's quite sad to watch the footage, but I guess it's a bit of television history no matter how macabre it is.

You could think about it in a whole different way - he died doing what he loved surrounded by fans and loved ones who thought his collapse was part of the act and they all applauded him into the next life. What a way to go. Sure beats an undignified death in a hospital ward or alone in your house. He kept everyone laughing literally up until his final breath.....and beyond. How poignantly fitting.

The guy who played Eric Morcambe was very accurate.

So what did everyone think about the way it portrayed Tommy? Here's two interesting articles focused on the accuracy:

Mary Kay's son says "I'd see the bruises on my mum... He threw her across a room": http://bit.ly/1mmCQhK

However, Tommy's daughter Vicky says "My dad was not an alcoholic wife-beater": http://bit.ly/1i31eWg

I'm not British, I'm too young to have any fond memories of him anyway so I can't say anything on the accuracy of the movie. In fact all I know about Cooper derives from the documentary I've seen yesterday.
His violent tendencies were portrayed only very vaguely in the movie I think. Most of the time he appeared to be gentle and passionate...and also very sad and lonely. The film confirmed this cliche that many comedians are struggling personalities suffering from depression and drug abuse. A very bleak picture of this glamour profession.

I don't think the movie worked for me as an entertaining drama...it's more like a nice addition to the documentary and the informations in the net. Mandatory material for my "studies of British comedy history". The actors weren't bad though.

I haven't seen this yet. Will get round to watching soon. But I would say from pics I've seen in the Radio Times & trailers I've watched, that however good David Threlfall may or may not be, the make-up artist needs sacking!

I think this was portrayed the way Tommy Cooper was.Didn't like it

Just watched it now
I was surprised they recreated his heart attack
Although I watched it live at the time I'd never seen it since
SO did have a look on YouTube, it was quite chilling, I hadn't remembered him being slumped for so long nor that he he then fell backwards.
I am surprised it was on YouTube actually

Quote: ComedyGeek @ 23rd April 2014, 4:20 PM BST

I think this was portrayed the way Tommy Cooper was.

Unlikely, they rarely do in these things. May have gone into his abusive ways, but you need to know the abusive/sexist ways of his contemporaries too. Or how being in the army affected him.

And she may have been a nasty nagging cow - although I can't imagine Amanda Redman being one. I'd do what ever she wanted me to do.