No all-male panel BBC shows Page 10

Quote: beaky @ 17th February 2014, 9:24 AM GMT

From Saturday's Independent.

There's simply no room in this world for transvestite O'Briains.

Angry

Quote: LippyAlison @ 18th February 2014, 1:11 AM GMT

Indeed. And I can't see any real argument that male comedians are disadvantaged by a measure that seeks to achieve at least one female member for each show.

B-b-b-but, there may only be room for five men, instead of six!

Surely Zara O'Briain would've been better?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 11th February 2014, 1:35 AM GMT

Then you must have loved Bridget Christie - wife of Stewart Lee who only garnered three star reviews for her shows - for she too was an Edinburgh Comedy Award winner. It's funny how comedy is so subjective.

Actually, you are wrong. I know this because I'm the person who collects ALL the Fringe reviews for the guide every year, and then we at the BCG compile a list of who had the best ratings.

Bridget Christie mostly got four star reviews for her Fringe winning show A Bic for Her. Out of all the Edinburgh Award Nominated shows last year she had the highest average rating. She was the only act with an average of over 4 out of 5.

Not only that, but amongst the newcomers, while John Kearns won the award, he didn't have the highest ratings amongst the nominees. That was Aisling Bea. With Adrienne Truscott winning the panel prize you could argue that last year there should have been an all-woman clean sweep.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ 18th February 2014, 10:20 AM GMT

Surely Zara O'Briain would've been better?

It would.

Not wanting to end up on the wrong side of the argument.

But I'm not sure Edinburgh reviews monitor whats funny, they tend towards false positives and tend not to truly measure the funny.

Quote: sootyj @ 19th February 2014, 9:48 AM GMT

Not wanting to end up on the wrong side of the argument.

But I'm not sure Edinburgh reviews monitor whats funny, they tend towards false positives and tend not to truly measure the funny.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion?

But that aside, I've watched her live, yes she's funny.

I could dig up some links but that'd be dull.

Most years the papers do a sort of review of a reviews with the point being reviews tend to be very positive even when not earned.

As it is when I've been I didn't find much of a match up between quality and review. Too the point of them being a bit pointless.

The exception being seemingly the ones who actively seek bad reviews.

With Brigette Christie I wasn't a great fan.

I thought Bridget Christie's show was great.

But awards are bollocks.

However, I think Ian has demonstrated, using something called evidence, that Bridget Christie did not win the award on the back of a slew of sub-standard reviews.

Quote: Badge @ 19th February 2014, 10:38 AM GMT

But awards are bollocks.

Avoids incredibly tired joke about bollocks and female comedians.

Quote: Badge @ 19th February 2014, 10:38 AM GMT

I thought Bridget Christie's show was great.

But awards are bollocks.

However, I think Ian has demonstrated, using something called evidence, that Bridget Christie did not win the award on the back of a slew of sub-standard reviews.

That's as may be, but I think we can all agree that if she takes the place of some hypothetical Man on a landfill panel show it will be political correctness gone MAD!

I'd say if the panel stay the same format, but you just change the gender of some of the contestants it's not much progress.

I'd say you need to question why 6 old buffers, whatever their gender talking bollocks for half an hour is the epogee of comedy.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 19th February 2014, 11:01 AM GMT

That's as may be, but I think we can all agree that if she takes the place of some hypothetical Man on a landfill panel show it will be political correctness gone MAD!

If Bridget Christie was made a token woman on a TV show I think that would really be a problem.

best female comedians at the minute in the UK have to be Katherine Ryan and Aisling Bea